Official BYC Poll: What Is Your Least Favorite Thing About Keeping Chickens?

What is your least favorite thing about keeping chickens?

• Cleaning out poopy bedding.

Votes: 142 31.6%
  • Preventing picking and overcrowding.

Votes: 37 8.2%
  • Keeping one step ahead of predators

Votes: 77 17.1%
  • Coping with illness/parasites.

Votes: 187 41.6%
  • Refreshing & refilling the feed and water.

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Closing your flock up at night and letting them out in the morning.

Votes: 25 5.6%
  • Dealing with aggressive roosters

Votes: 44 9.8%
  • Nothing! I love everything about it.

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 66 14.7%
  • Dealing with death in the flock

Votes: 188 41.8%

• Total voters
Pics
I don't know what I wrote earlier but today it's cold. Real cold. Winter's coming. Brrr! Early-morning temps next week, 18°F! There otta be a law. So right now what I like least about having chickens is cold, wet weather with snow and ice. I don't like it and I know my feathered friends don't like it either. Early evenings, not enough daylight. Darkness. . .
Ugh. 🥶

I don't know what I wrote earlier but today it's cold. Real cold. Winter's coming. Brrr! Early-morning temps next week, 18°F! There otta be a law. So right now what I like least about having chickens is cold, wet weather with snow and ice. I don't like it and I know my feathered friends don't like it either. Early evenings, not enough daylight. Darkness. . .
Ugh. 🥶
Yes. This part stinks! Wanting to go hang out with them without freezing my toes and nose off!

Ugh. 🥶
Ditto!!!
I got home later than I needed to and had the headlight putting them in the coop...they atleast made it into the doorway of the coop...progress! My 3 month old Cochins are the ONLY ones that use the roost bars! Ugh
Then the light got the baby Cochins to goin to eating and drinking again...so had to wait til I coaxed em back underneath the heat plate cause it is friggin bitter cold out there!!! Wind is ridiculous! And decided to turn on me and come out of the west instead of the south so I'm not sure if I need to keep wrapping the entire run or what!?!

Keeping chickens as pets can be a rewarding experience, plus it ensures a regular supply of fresh eggs, keep pests under control and fertilize the garden. However, raising chickens also requires some effort from yourself. So we would like to find out: What is your least favorite thing about keeping chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2859361

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Other: not having any neighbors or family to turn to to take care of the chickens when we need to go help take care of mom 5 states away.

I can deal with the poop.... everywhere. I don't mind the chores. I'm learning to deal with the cold so I can go hang out with them(thank goodness for insulated overalls). I'm handling the predator threats. It's the injuries and shenanigans that these creatures get themselves into. I have one with what I believe I curly toe paralysis, I'm working to straighten out. And why....why....did I have to rescue one from the predator netting that was supposed to protect her? But honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. They are so fun and way more interactive than I ever expected. The best part....is looking like the pied Piper of chickens as I walk around my property! Or snow white when I have the dog and cat in tow too. Fantastic 😍

I got home later than I needed to and had the headlight putting them in the coop...they atleast made it into the doorway of the coop...progress! My 3 month old Cochins are the ONLY ones that use the roost bars! Ugh
Then the light got the baby Cochins to goin to eating and drinking again

My headlamp has a red bulb option that's useful for that kind of situation.

Back
Top Bottom