Official BYC Poll: When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

• I don't have chickens yet.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I don't travel! I don't want to leave my girls with anyone.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have someone care for them in exchange for the free eggs!

Votes: 59 32.2%
  • I have someone care for them, but I pay them as well as give them the eggs!

Votes: 52 28.4%
  • I have someone care for them, but I don't let them take my eggs.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I haven't needed to travel yet.

Votes: 31 16.9%

• Total voters
Mines not here… when I go Away it’s only 5 days max, and. My buddies have automatic feeders and 2aterers, five and ten gallons. Over the siummer when I’m on vacation, my siblings or My parents watch them or my neighbor who used to have chickens but I’d rather not.

If you do not have anyone to care for the chickens and it there is an emergency, what do ou guys do? I have no family nor friends who can come to care for my chickens.
I have a card in my wallet For my dog in case I get in an accident or something happens… and it has my chickens on the back since they’re emotional support. I think there’s people ypu can call like pet sitters, but I would look into it and see if there’s any in your area

Yeah, do you have anything like Angi (angie's list) in your area? May be a good idea to write or print instructions for their care and post them somewhere in your house, on the fridge maybe, easily visible. No neighbors? Church members?

You're tired and jaded and need a break, but you can't figure out who could take care of your flock as well as you could? Even the most devoted chicken lover needs a break sometimes. However, we cannot figure out how to ensure that our chickens are as well taken care of as we would like. Perhaps you have to leave your home for another reason: perhaps a family emergency, or perhaps you have to work away.

So we would like to find out: When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

Place your votes above, and please share your thoughts and experiences in reply to this thread. :highfive:

View attachment 2996624

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I sometimes take them with me!

If you do not have anyone to care for the chickens and it there is an emergency, what do ou guys do? I have no family nor friends who can come to care for my chickens.
Check with a local vet and see if they have a tech who you can call in a pinch. Or a professional pet sitter. If there's a farm nearby, there may be someone there who's willing. Find that person now and negotiate pay so you don't need to do that when you need to go. Check in with them occasionally, and bring eggs. Keeping that relationship will help when you need them.

Back
Top Bottom