Official BYC Poll: When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

When You Travel, Who Looks After Your Chickens?

• I don't have chickens yet.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I don't travel! I don't want to leave my girls with anyone.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have someone care for them in exchange for the free eggs!

Votes: 59 32.2%
  • I have someone care for them, but I pay them as well as give them the eggs!

Votes: 52 28.4%
  • I have someone care for them, but I don't let them take my eggs.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I haven't needed to travel yet.

Votes: 31 16.9%

• Total voters
I can ask in the vet office close to me. I do not have any neighbors close by and the one next door, we are not in good terms. He has acted like a real bipolar person when I said I was putting up a fence. I have talked to his wife though and I do take eggs every so often but I do not trust enough to give key to the house. My fear is the safe with fire arms in it. I do not have cash anywhere,lol
Few friends and church friends have been distant since I move far away form everyone. But will look into the vet clinic in the area. Thank you.

I chose this one:

I have someone care for them, but I don't let them take my eggs.​

I do actually let them have some of the eggs if they want, but most of our eggs get sold and are way more than they would want anyway so they get packed and set aside as part of the job they are asked and paid to do.

I dread going away and leaving my chickens to another's care. Since the chickens, I have only traveled by myself and left my husband to care for the girls. Well, even that wasn't a good choice. He doesn't love them like I do. Unfortunately, for me, I have a complicated set up. Even though I leave written detailed instructions, they were not followed. I have one neighbor who would take care for them if we both had to travel. I don't trust her to do more then keep them alive till we return. I use large plastic jars for water, which I exchange daily. I have feed in a pipe-feeder, which I only fill as much as they will eat in a day so as not to attract critters during the night. There are two coops in a large wire enclosure. All 4 chickens sleep in the "old" one, but eggs are laid in the newer one. So both coops need to be monitored and the occupied one locked up tight. I have a spoiled hen who sleeps in the nesting box, which I line with a blanket, and needs to be cleaned off each day. The main coop area has astro-turf that needs to be cleaned, dried and replaced daily. So, you see, my set up as complicated. I think if I have plans to travel, I will need to do some planning to make my chicken care easier.

Funny, I go toPhysical Therepy and the receptionist is the sweetest lady I have ever met. I told her about me needing to travel for ER to FL and she said that she would be willing to do it after work once a day.
Hoever, I have never done this before. How much should the pay be? Please advise. TIA

Funny, I go toPhysical Therepy and the receptionist is the sweetest lady I have ever met. I told her about me needing to travel for ER to FL and she said that she would be willing to do it after work once a day.
Hoever, I have never done this before. How much should the pay be? Please advise. TIA
I would offer enough to cover her gas to travel to and from your place from her home and then double that, plus she can have all the eggs produced in your absence. That would be the minimum, assuming the care of your chickens is simple and straightforward. The more difficult and complex it is, the more you should offer to pay her.

I also advise writing or typing the instructions clearly and providing that for her. Include a contact number for you in case of emergency. Good luck!

So far I think it will be tojust check for food and water and replenish if needed and to collect eggs and do a walk around to make sure there is nothing digging around the coop. I have cameras and she knows because I have showed the chickens at the office. I am just not sure how cold it will still get to leave a hose outside or give the key to the house so she can get water from the kitchen.

Dang chickens anyway. When you fall in love with the adorable little tyrants, where is the contract you sign telling you your life will never be the same, that they own you forever, they will break your heart, that you will become a chicken addict, spend all your money, lose your mind, and so forth.? In fact the only thing close to a chicken addiction is having kids, and real children actually grow up and go away, but chickens are forever.... wait. Did I just create a T-shirt? :lau

Back
Top Bottom