I just euthanized Dobby. She was getting worse and I didn't want her to suffer. I used ether this time, as my one experience with cervical dislocation went horribly.

It worked really well. Took maybe 35 minutes. I followed the advice in this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...re-culling-the-injured-and-sick-babies.72140/ (fantastic article) @duluthralphie. Ralphie, thank you and your model frog, who died bravely for our sins.

Thank you to my Angel of Death, Smuvie, who always says the right things.

I feel like I am accepting some kind of chicken death Oscar. Seriously, I am sad, I cried. But I'm glad this worked. It was even less traumatic than if I had to go to the vet, which is what I would have done if this did not work. But it did, and I now have 16 chickens.

I'm glad that's over with. Worst part of being a chicken owner, for sure. RIP Dobby.:hit
:hit:hugs

<~~~ Chicken of Death

Hahaha, you're such a freak. I love you.

@21hens-incharge Thank you, I know it was the right thing, but that doesn't make it any easier . I kept opening the container to pet her and reassure her (I'm sure that prolonged it, and made me a little high as well--that shizz is potent--but I felt so bad, I wanted her to know I loved her). This is the worst part of owning chickens. I kept telling myself "you knew this was gonna happen when you got them, it's part of the deal."

@CSAchook Thank you for your kind words, you are a total sweetheart. It really is a good method. For me it was much better than wringing the neck, which was awful and traumatic (and didn't work well at all for me) when i had to do it. Follow the instructions in that link I sent. It is a very good article. :hugs back atcha guys....

***princess waves*** and don't forget, when you need to cull a chicken, call 1-800-smuvy-is-the-chicken-of-death to walk you through this turrrible turrrrrible time.

All calls toll free.... but sending a box of chocolate covered strawberries would be acceptable as payment.

***curtsy, walks out the kicked in door***

Dr.Kluckvorkian.:gig
***princess waves*** and don't forget, when you need to cull a chicken, call 1-800-smuvy-is-the-chicken-of-death to walk you through this turrrible turrrrrible time.

All calls toll free.... but sending a box of chocolate covered strawberries would be acceptable as payment.

***curtsy, walks out the kicked in door***
@pitbullmomma, I don't want to say good job, but you know.:hugs

Dr.Kluckvorkian.:gig
@pitbullmomma, I don't want to say good job, but you know.:hugs

I know. It's like the "thumbs up" of death, right?:eek:

I had to let all my guys free range after that. There's nothing like watching tiny Negan try to hump Flower--and seeing the littles play percussion on the downspout--to lift my spirits. Silly-azz chickens!:love

I just euthanized Dobby. She was getting worse and I didn't want her to suffer. I used ether this time, as my one experience with cervical dislocation went horribly.

It worked really well. Took maybe 35 minutes. I followed the advice in this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...re-culling-the-injured-and-sick-babies.72140/ (fantastic article) @duluthralphie. Ralphie, thank you and your model frog, who died bravely for our sins.

Thank you to my Angel of Death, Smuvie, who always says the right things.

I feel like I am accepting some kind of chicken death Oscar. Seriously, I am sad, I cried. But I'm glad this worked. It was even less traumatic than if I had to go to the vet, which is what I would have done if this did not work. But it did, and I now have 16 chickens.

I'm glad that's over with. Worst part of being a chicken owner, for sure. RIP Dobby.:hit
Sorry, PBM, you did the right thing. Hugs for your loss.

I got the lower layer of welded wire on the lean-to today! 20180611_165142.jpg
I plan to put bunnies out there in their wire cages when the weather is nice.

Back
Top Bottom