Well, DH really messed up this time. Asked him to collect the eggs for me yesterday. Didn't realize one was a "dummy" egg and brought them all in. I didn't catch the mistake fast enough so today the entire flock had collective amnesia about where to lay. I still haven't found all the eggs yet :he

ETA not actually mad at DH. It is the year-and-a-half-old hens that can't find the nest box when it is empty that really get to me :rolleyes:

Well, DH really messed up this time. Asked him to collect the eggs for me yesterday. Didn't realize one was a "dummy" egg and brought them all in. I didn't catch the mistake fast enough so today the entire flock had collective amnesia about where to lay. I still haven't found all the eggs yet :he
To avoid the confusion, I use golf balls.

I don't need them now though. They know what the nest box is for now.

but they are not laying eggs after winter yet! I need new pullets for next winter

To avoid the confusion, I use golf balls.

I don't need them now though. They know what the nest box is for now.

but they are not laying eggs after winter yet! I need new pullets for next winter

If it was the just the pullets I might forgive them, but the older hens are just as bad! Empty the box and it is pandemonium. Eventually they will settle on a different box to use for the next couple months until they decide something is wrong with that one....the last time they switched was because I cleaned the box :rolleyes:

And yeah, usually I mark the dummies with a sharpie, but this one was new (not sure what happened to the old one?) and I hadn't gotten around to it yet :oops:

If it was the just the pullets I might forgive them, but the older hens are just as bad! Empty the box and it is pandemonium. Eventually they will settle on a different box to use for the next couple months until they decide something is wrong with that one....the last time they switched was because I cleaned the box :rolleyes:

And yeah, usually I mark the dummies with a sharpie, but this one was new (not sure what happened to the old one?) and I hadn't gotten around to it yet :oops:
See @Chickassan Derps will fit in nicely here! My flock is not exactly brainy...

Back
Top Bottom