There are tightly wound people in every hobby, it makes their world go round.....and it is always funny!
Huge respect to those that breed endangered anythings with civility it seems to be a terribly hard endeavor.
I'm of course talking about the civility portion.:gig
It is hard to work on a rare breed. I uses to hatch out Delaware and SG Dorkings for a local person working on them. It was a lot of work! I had to hatch in baskets base on breeding groups

I've tossed in the towel on the leghorn and Dels. Focusing on RIWs and BHs. I need to get NPIP as all my foot traffic is from afar. I have a guy who wants 70-80 day old chicks and others who want hatching eggs. eating eggs sell here for $3.50 a dozen (not sure why as wally world sells lower quality eggs for $5.00/doz), yet hatching eggs sell for $60/doz. Thinking about selling day old chicks for $7/doz.

:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs Stacey I don't have any words. It's been a year and a half since ours left us and it's still hard. :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

WV, Beware of the purists. There are a couple of schools of thought, and honestly I haven't taken the time to consider if either has merit.:gig The Midget white went extinct several years ago as was also said about the beltsville whites. A group of breeders got together and followed the same breeding program as the original birds and ended up with a sustainable bird that has all the characteristics of the midget white. The purist view is once extinct always extinct. The other group are of the opinion that "if made the same way, looks and acts the same, it's ok." That's less dicey than the beltsville that was thought to be extinct but then a flock of original stock was mysteriously found.?.:confused: Either way some of our good friends are purists while others are not and none of them hang out here. ;) Just be prepared ;)

Thanks for the warning. I appreciate all the input. Those FB groups are all a little weird, IMO, so I always operate with a grain of salt. :D

It is hard to work on a rare breed. I uses to hatch out Delaware and SG Dorkings for a local person working on them. It was a lot of work! I had to hatch in baskets base on breeding groups
Yeah but I bet you didn't get all high and mighty about it.
I know quite a few people who breed rare birds that are just ungodly critical of other's results and over impressed by their own.
They get downright mean! Iv'e nearly seen a Scots Dumpy slap fight.:gig

I've tossed in the towel on the leghorn and Dels. Focusing on RIWs and BHs. I need to get NPIP as all my foot traffic is from afar. I have a guy who wants 70-80 day old chicks and others who want hatching eggs. eating eggs sell here for $3.50 a dozen (not sure why as wally world sells lower quality eggs for $5.00/doz), yet hatching eggs sell for $60/doz. Thinking about selling day old chicks for $7/doz.
The Dels were in very bad shape!

I hope the RIWs and BHs go well for you

I know quite a few people who breed rare birds that are just ungodly critical of other's results and over impressed by their own.
I read something on here about someone being interested in Heritage Cornish, but Best in Show of a poultry show he went to was the granddaughter of a judge and the bird was bred by the judge.

I just loved hatching them!

Ha! Absolute next on my t-shirt list that is awesome!:gig
Question seasoned rooster people. I just locked up and there was a pretty hefty blood trail going up the ladder so I tracked it down.
Negan has lost a spur somewhere, nothing but that little nub quick left.
I cleaned it put a little ointment on it.
I don't remove spur sheaths just trim them so this isn't something I normally deal with.
Is that about what I should have done? :idunno
I can't imagine doing that on purpose to a roo either! The only other thing I've read to keep an eye on is how sensitive it is. (Other then bleeding/infection) Its exposed nail bed. :thSome people wrap them up after ripping them off.

My dog has pulled off one of her dew claws more then once. I don't know how she does it. Doesn't yelp or anything. She starts licking her leg a lot and that's when I find it missing.:sick

Nunny i've had alot of roosters and iv'e never had that happen, leave it to a derp.:gig
I might better check the yard in the morning just in case he lost it in action. He looked normal so I probably don't even want to know what happened.
I can't imagine doing that on purpose to a roo either! The only other thing I've read to keep an eye on is how sensitive it is. (Other then bleeding/infection) Its exposed nail bed. :thSome people wrap them up after ripping them off.

My dog has pulled off one of her dew claws more then once. I don't know how she does it. Doesn't yelp or anything. She starts licking her leg a lot and that's when I find it missing.:sick

Back
Top Bottom