That whole spur ordeal has shown me in the future I can trim much shorter if I have to at least on that side.
I don't know about the other, his spurs grow different on each side.
It did help with one problem temporarily, his freak toe's toenail will hook the spur on that side if I don't keep it really short so he can grow a nice nail for a little while.
To be honest i'm not too sure his spurs are even functional, the curve on those suckers is crazy and his legs are so short.
I'm thinking they exsist solely just to poke him in the butt at night.:hmm

It’s easiest with a helper to hold the bird and his leg, but just take a pair of pliers, grab the spur close to the base, where it’s attached to the leg. Firmly, but not tightly. Slightly twist back and forth, just a smidge, till you feel it pop. Then it will just slide right off. The spur underneath will be bare and kinda soft for a day or so, but I’ve had roosters go mate a hen as soon as I released him.
sounds kinda painful :hmm

That whole spur ordeal has shown me in the future I can trim much shorter if I have to at least on that side.
I don't know about the other, his spurs grow different on each side.
It did help with one problem temporarily, his freak toe's toenail will hook the spur on that side if I don't keep it really short so he can grow a nice nail for a little while.
To be honest i'm not too sure his spurs are even functional, the curve on those suckers is crazy and his legs are so short.
I'm thinking they exsist solely just to poke him in the butt at night.:hmm

I suppose it’s whatever each of us can handle. Luckily there are several options. Kinda like culling, we each have to find our own comfort zone.
I feel worse for the hens putting up with the roosters spurs. I know my bantam cochin needs his done. Maybe I’ll try trimming instead of the twist off and see how I do with it.

If you can do it then I can totally see the advantages of it.
I don't worry much about the hens with him due to that nutty curvature going on with him, but I have had boys like the one in the video that would have been much less pointy if I had the stomach to pop them off.
Those guys ended up muffed which was still a major pain in the rump.
Hard to even trim ones like that, the quick is so long I feel like i'm going to kill the poor fella.
I suppose it’s whatever each of us can handle. Luckily there are several options. Kinda like culling, we each have to find our own comfort zone.
I feel worse for the hens putting up with the roosters spurs. I know my bantam cochin needs his done. Maybe I’ll try trimming instead of the twist off and see how I do with it.

I do my best to keep them short from the start. That way they don't develop a long quick and the boys are used to being handled.

It's all what each keeper can handle doing and the time required. I quick twist and pull is much faster and required less often then sitting down with each bird and a file.

All this spur talk makes me think I should check the boys.

@Chickassan As gross as it sounds they may have eaten the spur that came off. I have one hen in particular that likes the dry scales off the legs of the others when they molt. She doesn't pick her own but will gladly help out another bird.

I do my best to keep them short from the start. That way they don't develop a long quick and the boys are used to being handled.

It's all what each keeper can handle doing and the time required. I quick twist and pull is much faster and required less often then sitting down with each bird and a file.

@Chickassan As gross as it sounds they may have eaten the spur that came off. I have one hen in particular that likes the dry scales off the legs of the others when they molt. She doesn't pick her own but will gladly help out another bird.
yeah....I need to check mine too. It looks painful yet satisfying to watch in a weird way......kind of like watching Dr Pimplepopper.

I use dog nail clippers on mine, but I can't use the guide on it b/c it will cut too much off. W Willie I was just cutting of the very tip of the spur, but it's been a long time since I've done even that. I just noticed the other day his spurs were super long, but he's 1/2 a chicken so I'm not worried about him hurting the girls.

I've seen a few episodes of that! Train wreck that you don't want to watch but can't turn away either! :sick
I'm addicted to that show....DH can't watch it but I have iron guts and can watch gross stuff. I love to watch surgerical procedures of all sorts. Even got to watch a couple embalmings ....in person. That was really interesting

Back
Top Bottom