DH, the boys, and I will be traveling for a family wedding this weekend. I've been trying for the last 2 weeks to get a visit scheduled to take the boys to see DH's grandmother. They only just opened up September hours today. We last came to visit her in March when my aunt died. We got to see her the DAY her nursing home shut down visitation. Since mid-March she has had only been allowed 1 half hour visit from any family. For now, she is only allowed 1 half hour visit once a week with no more than 4 people. Also, that visit has to be conducted 6 ft apart with a plexi glass wall in between. If anyone in her unit or working on her unit get the virus, they are locked down until further notice. It's a royal pain in the tush, but we'll do what we can to visit her whenever we can. I'm just glad that is settled now.

Good afternoon (barely, just after 12pm here).

Since we have satellite internet, we have hard data limits and times of the day where the internet is faster and others that are slower. I have business internet, so my fast "bonus" time is between 8am and 6pm. I have 25 GB a month that I can use only during that time window. This is the fastest data I have. I have 50 GB of "anytime" data that can be utilized in the early morning, evening, and during my "bonus" time I run out of bonus data. They say my speeds shouldn't be diminished if I have to use my anytime data during my bonus time, but I've noticed it is significantly slower. So I try to conserve that bonus data for work and watch videos and other data hungry things during the off hours.

I tell you all this because my in-laws internet has not be working since Saturday night. Their modem broke. They called yesterday and a tech is coming out on Wednesday to fix it. Well, my MIL is online almost all the time she is awake. It is her pacifier. Well, she wants to use our internet to download podcasts to listen to. Fine, she can do it between 8pm and 6am but NOT while we are sleeping and we aren't getting up at 5am or earlier to let her in. We are also not leaving the back door unlocked because we want to make sure Thing 1 doesn't take it into his head to go for a walk to Mom-mom and Grampy's house while we are sleeping (also, we like our privacy and don't relish the idea of my in-laws coming in while we are sleeping). Well, my husband let her in at 6am this morning and she berated him for not letting her in earlier and keeping the back door locked. She wanted to "pay us" for the data she would use if she downloaded during my "bonus time" which I need for work and I only have 3 GB to use over the next 3 days. It doesn't reset until Thursday at Midnight. She's acting even more like a spoiled toddler than usual. I'm sorry, not having internet sucks. But you'll live and it doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
:eek: Ok, ok. I won’t gripe about my internet anymore (for a little bit, lol). You poor, poor thing!! :hugs

This woman has always been escaping in one fashion or another (according to my DH and SIL). Apparently, before internet, it was books, movies, TV shows. Now it is homesteading VLOGs and Fox news shows on YouTube. She stopped driving after she came up here and hasn't been off property since Dec or Jan, not even for church. Half the time when my mom makes dinner and invites us 100 yards down the lane, she won't come (even though we get my parents 4-wheeler and drive her up or take our van). When we lived in the DC metro area, all she talked about is wanting to get to the country. Now that we are out here, she has essentially turned into a hermit who thinks she is the great planning mastermind of all of our lives. Apparently, she's always been that way too. DH and SIL told me that once they and their other sister were old enough to do housework, my MIL stopped doing ANY housework and expected the 3 of them to do it all. I'm all for kids doing chores and helping, but it is a family wide responsibility with parents leading the way and setting an example.

Sorry, venting.

I understand she is probably depressed and isn't in good health, but she does nothing to address those either. However, I'm responsible for myself and my family and there are boundaries that she has to respect.
Sad, just sad.
I completely agree with your viewpoint on chores. Too bad my kid doesn’t. Lol! He tried complaining to his counselor once about me asking him to sweep AND mop the kitchen. Gasp! He was in his mid teens. I pointed out that we have a stick vacuum and also a Hoover floormate. So, basically, plug it in and move it around. Presto! Clean floor.

Sad, just sad.
I completely agree with your viewpoint on chores. Too bad my kid doesn’t. Lol! He tried complaining to his counselor once about me asking him to sweep AND mop the kitchen. Gasp! He was in his mid teens. I pointed out that we have a stick vacuum and also a Hoover floormate. So, basically, plug it in and move it around. Presto! Clean floor.
My 4 year old still thinks "helping" mommy and daddy is fun. He also gets paid $0.50 a day (we reduce it by a dime at a time dependent on how unhelpful, disobedient, or slow he is being) to help with chicken chores in the morning. He also has to straighten up his room at least once a day depending on how messy it gets and help clean up the living room.

LOL my mom had me sweeping and mopping floors when I was 8.

My 4 year old still thinks "helping" mommy and daddy is fun. He also gets paid $0.50 a day (we reduce it by a dime at a time dependent on how unhelpful, disobedient, or slow he is being) to help with chicken chores in the morning. He also has to straighten up his room at least once a day depending on how messy it gets and help clean up the living room.

LOL my mom had me sweeping and mopping floors when I was 8.
Mine’s very unique, likely ODD material or maybe even on the spectrum somewhere. He would never help. Still doesn’t. I distinctly remember when he was a year old, I asked him to pick up his toys and he just stared at me. Thinking he didn’t understand what I wanted, I went to help him pick them up and he went completely rigid and refused to unclench his hands or bend over. Wow! What a precursor!! If he thought he had to earn anything, he suddenly didn’t want it anymore, no matter what. I finally decided to go for bribing and still nothing. He didn’t even like rewards at school saying they were stupid. So much so, he quit turning in his homework because they gave the kids points towards prizes for doing so. On and on and on. Honestly, I’m surprised he lets his job pay him for working! He’s exhausting :he :gig

I never got an allowance nor was paid for chores. We didn't have a set of things we were expected to do each day or week per say. But when asked to help it wasn't questioned.
We had a lot of family gatherings at my house when I was young. So in preparation for those tasks were handed out. Dust, vacuum, set the table. Help with food prep and cleanup.
I don't remember rules being set that we couldn't take food to our bedrooms or anything like that. It was something we just didn't do. As a teen I remember being told to clean my room but it was more things like put clothes away and make it so the carpet could be vacuumed.
We never left a mess in the bathroom or hoarded dirty laundry. Once old enough we washed our own clothes but towels and things went to the hamper.
Weekends we helped outside. Pick up sticks, plant flowers or veggies, shovel snow. As I got older other house projects were tackled. My dad and I put in a new kitchen and did some tile work. Then my sister and I did the tile in the bathroom while my dad was out of town. LOL
It was always just a family affair. Take care of the house we all share and take care of each other.

Mine’s very unique, likely ODD material or maybe even on the spectrum somewhere. He would never help. Still doesn’t. I distinctly remember when he was a year old, I asked him to pick up his toys and he just stared at me. Thinking he didn’t understand what I wanted, I went to help him pick them up and he went completely rigid and refused to unclench his hands or bend over. Wow! What a precursor!! If he thought he had to earn anything, he suddenly didn’t want it anymore, no matter what. I finally decided to go for bribing and still nothing. He didn’t even like rewards at school saying they were stupid. So much so, he quit turning in his homework because they gave the kids points towards prizes for doing so. On and on and on. Honestly, I’m surprised he lets his job pay him for working! He’s exhausting :he :gig

:hugsI understand that all to well. :hugs

Good morning folks :frow

Good morning Bob. :frow
Have an awesome day.

Back
Top Bottom