OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hello fellow Buckeyes, I am Amy near Cincinnati, and I have had chickens for about 3.5 years, I keep adding to my flock slowly! I currently have 10 hens and 4 new babies, about 5-6 weeks old. The new babies I didn't "mean" to get, just went to visit a friend who had hatched a bunch of chicks and she gave me some babies. LOL you know how that goes. My first batches were all hatchery bought and sexed, so this is my first time with unsexed chicks. I think I should've gotten more, because I am worried that I have 3/4 roosters! This is also my first time getting chicks in the colder weather, so not exactly sure how/when to move chickens outdoors when it is so cold. I finally turned the heat lamp off the babies and they are ok in my 60 degree basement, so maybe I will wait another week or two and when we have a warmish day move them out. Or move them outside but resupply the heat lamp. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself in this thread!
hello! :welcome

If they are cold they will let you know!

..... I think I should've gotten more, because I am worried that I have 3/4 roosters! ...

I like the way you think!!
lol.png

What breed of chicks?

LOL thanks! They are Easter Egger crosses, one is a frizzle and super cute! They are definitely unusual looking pretty babies. Here they are.

LOL thanks! They are Easter Egger crosses, one is a frizzle and super cute! They are definitely unusual looking pretty babies. Here they are.
1st picture is definitely a cockerel on the left, right can't see enough but the color pattern its developing concerns me for it being a pullet. Your white one, so far, looks to be a pullet and the frizzle is too young to :D Always buy more chicks!

Originally Posted by amyopoka View Post

..... I think I should've gotten more, because I am worried that I have 3/4 roosters! ...

I'm not allowed to pick out chicks for just that reason! I brought home 3/4 boys. :lol:

1st picture is definitely a cockerel on the left, right can't see enough but the color pattern its developing concerns me for it being a pullet. Your white one, so far, looks to be a pullet and the frizzle is too young to :D

Always buy more chicks!

How can you tell the left is a roo? 2/3 I brought home took forever to delevop enough that I knew. Not till they got saddle feathers was I sure. I will say they were all mixed breed of who knows what. I also still have a boy who needs a new home...(hint hint ;))

Hi there, fellow Ohioan here. I'm in the Youngstown area and wondered if anyone else in the area has large fowl Cornish? Or has any Silkie x large fowl crosses. I'm on the hunt for some hens to use for a breeding project.

Wood county ohio here. Hey buckeyes!

Woot, woot! Wood County member here too! :jumpy Where are you in Wood, if you don't mind me asking? We're a couple minutes outside of Tontogony, but have a BG address.
Hi! I'm new to both the site and chickens, so wish me luck!

I'm in Radnor (north of Delaware) and drive up to Meyer to pick up my 6 Easter Eggers and 2 Welsummer chicks in a couple of weeks!

Hello and :welcome! Love seeing so many Ohio members!
Hello fellow Buckeyes, I am Amy near Cincinnati, and I have had chickens for about 3.5 years, I keep adding to my flock slowly! I currently have 10 hens and 4 new babies, about 5-6 weeks old. The new babies I didn't "mean" to get, just went to visit a friend who had hatched a bunch of chicks and she gave me some babies. LOL you know how that goes. My first batches were all hatchery bought and sexed, so this is my first time with unsexed chicks. I think I should've gotten more, because I am worried that I have 3/4 roosters! This is also my first time getting chicks in the colder weather, so not exactly sure how/when to move chickens outdoors when it is so cold. I finally turned the heat lamp off the babies and they are ok in my 60 degree basement, so maybe I will wait another week or two and when we have a warmish day move them out. Or move them outside but resupply the heat lamp. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself in this thread!

Hello! Don't we all keep adding to our flock. :lau Glad you joined us on the thread!
Hi there, fellow Ohioan here. I'm in the Youngstown area and wondered if anyone else in the area has large fowl Cornish? Or has any Silkie x large fowl crosses. I'm on the hunt for some hens to use for a breeding project. 

Hello and welcome to the thread! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but thought I'd say hi!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by amyopoka View Post

I'm not allowed to pick out chicks for just that reason! I brought home 3/4 boys. :lol:
How can you tell the left is a roo? 2/3 I brought home took forever to delevop enough that I knew. Not till they got saddle feathers was I sure. I will say they were all mixed breed of who knows what. I also still have a boy who needs a new home...(hint hint ;))
comb is very red for such a young age. Plus the color pattern generally indicates roo.

If you get good side pictures and good front view I an help you out some more.

Quote: I posted on the what gender is this thread too, and got some feedback there. I think the consensus is that I have 3 cockerels :-(
At least the one white pullet is very sweet. Now I just have to decide if I want to begin keeping a rooster or two... definitely do not need three! I guess I will see how nice they are once they are full grown and then make my decision. I am tempted to keep the frizzle anyway, then I could make some pretty frizzle mix babies later on!
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Back
Top Bottom