OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Is the only 'requirement' is that they are feathered out? I have 15 chicks in a 3x4 brooder...which will last them till about a month. (space wise). Pending everyone has feathers, and the coop is built...could I put them outside? I'd prefer not to have to run extension cords for a heat lamp...or do you think it would be best to just separate the flock for an additional 2 weeks or so?

Blessed chick, LOL! YES dining rooms are overrated! I can't remember the last time we "dined" in ours. Currently I have a bunch of my soap making supplies in shelves along the wall. The table is covered with my books from school and ONE of my incubators is in there. The other is in the living room....another over-rated useless room, especially if you have a family room! Interesting, but before we bought this house, we owned a small 900 sq. ft bungalow for a family of 6! ONE bathroom. Now that the kids are grown, 2 are out and 1 in college, 1 still in high school I long for the days of a little house. Too much to keep clean!

Thecrazychick, "It's only crazy if it works"..Was it instant oatmeal? Did you use milk or water? LOL.

Thanks all, I think the garage will work, but I am leaning toward the basement for the first few weeks. I guess my biggest concern is the wacky weather we can get up here in March.

Thanks for the well wishes. I have a question for you OHIO folks. Has anyone hatched in March? If so, where do you keep your brooder? The last time I got chicks, it was in June and the garage was appropriate. This time I am thinking that it may be too cold? Any advice? I am thinking that I have a room in the basement that is finished, that for some reason, no one is inclined to use, and I could probably put them in there, but I am not sure if that would be ideal? I could then move them out to the garage in April or so when they need more space.

Last year I got some chicks the second week of March (3/9 hatch date) and put them in an un-insulated shed in a 30 gal. Rubbermaid tub with a lid. They did fine. From there I moved them to an outdoor brooder after three or four weeks and then when they got feathered in nicely, they went on the ground. A basement or garage will be fine. Just toss down an old wading pool, throw in some pine shavings and hang a heat lamp in the center about a foot or two off the ground and they will be just dandy. They'll regulate their own temperature by moving closer or further away from the lamp.

rick

Hey central OH people, care to help me out?

I have a lonely chick that needs a box companion. Buffy is 6 days old and is wearing some boots to fix curled toes. I'm looking for a chick any breed besides Cornish X to put with her. I can pick up tomorrow afternoon in the Franklin county area.

Send me a PM if you can help me out.

Not chicken related really but we had a litter of six Bushland Terriers tonight! Bushlands are Cairn/Scottie crosses.If anyone is looking for nice, small but tough breed that is great at catching vermin (without being hyper like a JRT) around the barnyard, message me! Mom and Dad are here and family pets. Thanks all!
How big will they get. I'm wanting something 10-15 lbs I can raise with the birds and be a full time protector. I have a couple good dogs,but they are inside if we are home, and they won't have it any other way. I'm going to "invisible fence"the bird yard and wanting something to keep the critters away. Thanks. Blaine

Hey central OH people, care to help me out?

I have a lonely chick that needs a box companion. Buffy is 6 days old and is wearing some boots to fix curled toes. I'm looking for a chick any breed besides Cornish X to put with her. I can pick up tomorrow afternoon in the Franklin county area.

Send me a PM if you can help me out.

I must be getting old.... I thought that read I am a lonely chick looking for a boxing companion.....

Shew! Best get my specs on lol!

Well I have done 2 hatches so far and have only a 25% hatch ration.

The first hatch I did not expect much because I do want any other man would do the first time. Turn brooder on and throw in eggs. The next day the T stat was red lined at 120 degrees. So I turned it down and got it to the recommended 99.5. A few days later I decided to finish reading the instructions and found out that the channels in the bottom of the brooder was for water to keep humidity in the brooder. I did one thing right. I did have the plugs in the brooder.

The second time I thought we did everything right. The eggs we put in were warm eggs. How long they were exposed to freezing temps before a hen sat down on them and warm them up is unknown.

I have the $50 styrofoam brooder with the automatic turner. Any pointers besides the fact that I'm a man would be appreciated.

Thanks

A few days later I decided to finish reading the instructions and found out that the channels in the bottom of the brooder was for water to keep humidity in the brooder.
lol.png
Im bad for not reading instructions until something isn't working right either, and I'm a girl
wink.png
Good luck with your future hatches. I use the dry hatch method and have great success with it.

Back
Top Bottom