OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Wow, new folks galore. Welcome to the OH thread everyone! Lucasville/Minford here. Sorry I was MIA again for a few days.
A little birdy (good friend with connections lol) told me that TSC (at least Portsmouth) will have chicks starting the 24th. :weee :oops: Between my poor resistance to temptation, and Swap Days this year.. I'm going to need another coop! (Or an extension to the 8x12) :lol: :th
ETA: Portsmouth TSC is also supposed to start carrying Buckeyes and Cuckoo Marans this year. I prefer my bantams, but thought that might be interesting to some folks.

Last edited:
I can't wait for Swap Days....especially now that it's going to be at the Ross Co Fairgrounds. So much closer for me!
The last time I talked to both the Chillicothe and Hillsboro TSC's, they said the end of Feb. was when their chick orders should start arriving, but they didn't have a specific date.

Hello all! Just signed up for BYC. My family will be keeping our first small flock this spring, chicks due to hatch at the end of April! We are in NE Ohio- Berea specifically a small college town (Baldwin Wallace) amongst the SW suburbs of Cleveland.

We have pre-ordered a Silver Grey Dorking, Buff Orpington, Salmon Faverolle and Rhode Island Red from Meyer Hatchery, all females hopefully. We will also be getting a Easter Egger or two from Grace Brothers for my son. They get their chicks from Meyer as well but Meyer doesn't have female EEs available on the day the others hatch (my husband's Dorking was limited and determined our date). This is after being disappointed that there were no Ameraucanas or Cream Legbars available. He really would like blue eggs but I think has accepted they may come out any color.

My husband will be building a 4x6 coop and an 8x15 run when the snow clears. We will be attending Grace Brother's Back Yard Chicken class http://www.gracebrosnursery.com/id69.html They have one in North Royalton and Cleveland. We have also read Sue Weaver's Tending a Small Scale Flock. My in-laws and a friend both have small flocks in Indiana, I have been chatting furiously wither her. Very excited!

Anyone else in the SW Cuyahoga County area?

Cheers!
Autumn

i dont think im doing the swap days thing anymore. it was a chicken pair from there that caused our problems here.

i will offer a few chicks this year on the breeds i have left. if any of you want something just let me know, im keeping the first 20 or so chicks from each group - after that its first come first serve.

i am looking for a few roosters if anyone has any. all large fowl- salmon faverolle, lemon cuckoo orpington, and partridge rock. i might be looking for a nice quality white rock rooster too, im down to breeding my fast growing rooster's gene in again. he's a little large to breed, if he's even fertile anymore.

Kinda sad...despite my attempts to protect my little birds (one silkie and three M.F.D'uccles) I found one of my sweet little Millies dead this evening.
Their usual coop set-up is pretty nice with a covered run, but the coop is in a very exposed area,and with only four of them in a 4'x5' coop not enough to keep it warm in these absurd temps...thought I was doing the right thing by setting up a temporary shelter in the horse barn, in the condo brooder, 4'x4'x2'high with a 2'x3' addition, bedded thickly with straw. Fresh, thawed water at least twice a day, chunk of a FlockBlock, feeder....felt really bad that the other three had her little, stiff body in there. Seemed to work well during the last polar vortex...guess this was too cold for too long...and she was only 4.
Sigh.
I'm so sorry to hear that :-( you would have thought the horse barn would have provided enough extra protection to keep them warm!
This Spring my first chicks will arrive in mid April and with all this cold weather I keep wondering how chickens could survive! I was surprised to read the recently featured article suggesting that one of the most important ways to protect your chickens from the cold is to provide adequate ventilation. What was the air circulation like in your condo brooder?

Hello all!  Just signed up for BYC.  My family will be keeping our first small flock this spring, chicks due to hatch at the end of April!  We are in NE Ohio- Berea specifically a small college town (Baldwin Wallace) amongst the SW suburbs of Cleveland.  

We have pre-ordered a Silver Grey Dorking, Buff Orpington, Salmon Faverolle and Rhode Island Red from Meyer Hatchery, all females hopefully.  We will also be getting a Easter Egger or two from Grace Brothers for my son.  They get their chicks from Meyer as well but Meyer doesn't have female EEs available on the day the others hatch (my husband's Dorking was limited and determined our date).  This is after being disappointed that there were no Ameraucanas or Cream Legbars available.  He really would like blue eggs but I think has accepted they may come out any color.

My husband will be building a 4x6 coop and an 8x15 run when the snow clears.  We will be attending Grace Brother's Back Yard Chicken class http://www.gracebrosnursery.com/id69.html  They have one in North Royalton and Cleveland.  We have also read Sue Weaver's Tending a Small Scale Flock. My in-laws and a friend both have small flocks in Indiana, I have been chatting furiously wither her.  Very excited!

Anyone else in the SW Cuyahoga County area?

Cheers!
Autumn

Hello and welcome!
I'm from Cleveland and go to grace bros too! I'll have some ameraucans chicks this spring if you're interested.

I'm disappointed about the swap days county switch, as I was only minutes down the road here, but I'm sure I'm alone I'm that since most folks are up north haha.
I was away overnight last night taking a family member to WV for emergency surgery (started as a cat bite and trip to the clinic..didn't expect to be gone so long) and was worried sick about my feather-children (namely about leaving DH in charge of them..) while I was away.. and rightly so. Lost one of my roos in my absence, presumably to the cold. :(
On a happy note, I'm getting mail-order chicks! I had an opportunity awhile back to split an order, but that fell through and I couldn't afford to go in alone, so I gave up the idea. But I got the email from Meyer advertising their cheap 25 random breed layer pullets and DH (shockingly!) told me to get them if I wanted them. Maybe the tax return put him in a good mood lol. So they'll be here next week! Random hatchery birds, yes, but they're just pets here so it doesn't matter. I'm so excited about this. :cd Might have y'all help me IDing in the next couple weeks.

hi all n welcome to the new people! we have water finally! its testing great little rust or hard water. plumber said its like city water without the chemicals. so happy to have water again!! my girls have done well I feel blessed they have made it thru the winter so far with no major problems, except for rope eating issue. she has passed rope too!! I want more schools but with the well going out getting more chicks may not happen this year, unless I only order 10. have space in current coop for that many,planned to build chicken cabin #2 but need to talk this idea over with hubby.

Hi CourtsCacklers! I am In the very NW corner of Ohio. Just 12 miles from IN and 10 miles from MI. Are you west of Toledo or east? I will have hatching eggs this spring. Mostly Buckeyes with some New Hampshires. The Buckeyes have fared so much better with this wicked winter that I am really going to focus on breeding more Buckeyes. The NH's have really suffered with comb and wattle damage. I do have a few Buff Bantam Cochins too - they are so adorable! Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom