OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

They're here! :weee

Box-o-nuggets

Bigger box-o-nuggets

I have plenty of time for IDing, but, you know, new chicks..dying to know what you got..:D

Assuming the rainbow pullet pack includes mainly just your basic layers...

There are 9 white ones.
Maybe sexlink? WR?

There are 4 pale reds. So maybe NHR? BO?

Then 5 darker reds, with varying amounts of black/dark markings. Pretty sure RIR.

4 blacks w/ white underside/headspots. Probably BR.

3 either EEs or SLWs (pretty sure SLW).

And finally 2 SL polish. One vaulted. I was really hoping they'd throw in a couple polish, so I'm a happy camper.

Overall a success, and I'm pleased with Meyer! The non-vaulted polish and one of the RIR are weaker than the rest, so I naturally don't expect them to thrive, but at least they offer a 48 hour guarantee if not.

I'll be converting one of kiddo's big toyboxes into a brooder today, and if that is successful I'll probably post pics of that, too.

@Della D Did your fuzzybutts make it safely today? :)
Yep sure did! Looks like we got about the same breeds. I had two polish that were doa. Very sad, husband said why do the cutest ones always die. I think he likes the chicks. Lol. I'm not good at guessing breeds, so I guess time will tell.

Yep sure did! Looks like we got about the same breeds. I had two polish that were doa. Very sad, husband said why do the cutest ones always die. I think he likes the chicks. Lol. I'm not good at guessing breeds, so I guess time will tell.
I made a Rubbermaid tote into a brooder, works pretty well. I clip the light to the side of the tote. I don't use the 250 watt heat bulbs. I use 100 watt regular bulb and the chicks are kept in a spare bedroom until they are feathered out enough to go outside.

Anybody from Southwest Ohio know a good hatchery? I'm in the Cincinnati area,
And am hoping for started pullets to ease into the chicken experience.
Just want 4 docile, hearty layers.

Anybody from Southwest Ohio know a good hatchery? I'm in the Cincinnati area,
And am hoping for started pullets to ease into the chicken experience.
Just want 4 docile, hearty layers.

Mt healthy hatchery is right there in Cincinnati. I'm not sure what they offer as to started pullets. Production reds are a
Great laying breed alone with rhode islands and many others. Depends on what you find appealing. Take a look at there web site, Meyer hatchery is also a respectful hatchery located in northern ohio.

if your order from them, make sure to wash your hands after handling the chicks. (this goes for any hatchery). a couple of years ago they had sent out some chicks that were contaminated with salmonella.

it can happen to anyone, even if your hatching your own chicks. but it has happened more than once with them. i myself have bought chicks from them with no problems - i just wanted to throw that out there for the newcomers.

here is a link:
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/tag/mt-healthy-hatchery/#.UvwnwfldWP8

if your order from them, make sure to wash your hands after handling the chicks. (this goes for any hatchery).  a couple of years ago they had sent out some chicks that were contaminated with salmonella. 

it can happen to anyone, even if your hatching your own chicks. but it has happened more than once with them.  i myself have bought chicks from them with no problems - i just wanted to throw that out there for the newcomers. 

here is a link:

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I just placed an order with Meyer.

Good advice after handling any livestock or critter.

if your order from them, make sure to wash your hands after handling the chicks. (this goes for any hatchery).  a couple of years ago they had sent out some chicks that were contaminated with salmonella. 

it can happen to anyone, even if your hatching your own chicks. but it has happened more than once with them.  i myself have bought chicks from them with no problems - i just wanted to throw that out there for the newcomers. 

here is a link:

Mt healthy hatchery is right there in Cincinnati. I'm not sure what they offer as to started pullets. Production reds are a
Great laying breed alone with rhode islands and many others. Depends on what you find appealing. Take a look at there web site, Meyer hatchery is also a respectful hatchery located in northern ohio.

Mt Healthy has an excellent reputation. I know many retailers buy from them.

Back
Top Bottom