OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hello! I'm new here. My little family and I are located in northeast Ohio in the Cleveland suburbs. We will soon be buying our first home and are looking forward to our first flock.

While I just wanted to introduce myself, if anyone knows offhand of chicken friendly Cleveland suburbs, I'd be delighted to hear it! Otherwise, I'm already sleuthing around, and have confirmed Berea and Cleveland Heights are fowl-friendly.

If anyone has any suggestions that are Ohio or Cleveland-specific, I'd be grateful for the advice!

Hello! I'm new here. My little family and I are located in northeast Ohio in the Cleveland suburbs. We will soon be buying our first home and are looking forward to our first flock.

While I just wanted to introduce myself, if anyone knows offhand of chicken friendly Cleveland suburbs, I'd be delighted to hear it! Otherwise, I'm already sleuthing around, and have confirmed Berea and Cleveland Heights are fowl-friendly.

If anyone has any suggestions that are Ohio or Cleveland-specific, I'd be grateful for the advice!
Welcome! We live in Berea, and we are indeed chicken friendly as are North Royalton (I heard their mayor actually very pro-chicken and they have a nursery called Grace Brothers that gives classes, sells poultry supplies and chicks in the spring: http://gracebrosnursery.com/chickens-coops.html) and Strongsville (as long as you are not in an HOA). Last I heard Lakewood is still debating and they are not allowed in Parma. You can find many ordinances here: http://www.walterdrane.com/online_codes.html The codes pertaining to animals are found under "General Offenses" at least for Berea it just defines poultry are separate from livestock (which you need a license for) and the all the rules for other pets apply like don't let them run at large, don't abuse them, no excess noise or odors. I love Berea as a small town but would like acerage so we will be moving in a few years.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I sincerely appreciate it! We're in Parma Heights at the moment but have actually been eyeing some homes in Berea!
Welcome!  We live in Berea, and we are indeed chicken friendly as are North Royalton (I heard their mayor actually very pro-chicken and they have a nursery called Grace Brothers that gives classes, sells poultry supplies and chicks in the spring: http://gracebrosnursery.com/chickens-coops.html) and Strongsville (as long as you are not in an HOA).  Last I heard Lakewood is still debating and they are not allowed in Parma.  You can find many ordinances here: http://www.walterdrane.com/online_codes.html  The codes pertaining to animals are found under "General Offenses"  at least for Berea it just defines poultry are separate from livestock (which you need a license for) and the all the rules for other pets apply like don't let them run at large, don't abuse them, no excess noise or odors.  I love Berea as a small town but would like acerage so we will be moving in a few years.

I am looking for b/b/s or paint Silkie hatching eggs/young birds in South-Central Ohio. I am looking to add to my breeding stock so quality is important. Please let me know if anyone has any for sale or knows where I might source some.

I am back after 1 year no chickens...What was I thinking??? Store bought eggs are gross....I traveled a lot last year is why...It was kind of nice....glad to have chicks in the basement again....Love this forum...great information...Coop just needs to be cleaned and a few varmints killed before the chicks go outside...warmer weather would be nice also.....Kevin

I've heard North Royalton is fine with chickens too & Grace Brothers is a good source for information Lakewood is difficult but not impossible not allowed in Fairview or Rocky River . We went to the class at Grace Brothers and will be purchasing a coop from there. We looked at various places and online and for the price and setup they are right in the ballpark . We live in the city of Cleveland and you have to apply for a license the forms are all available online so it's not difficult. We hope to get our chicks after Easter
1f604.png
1f604.png

Hey guys! My husband got a pretty good job offer in Hebron, Ohio. We're thinking of moving up there from Kentucky.

I've been browsing real estate online and I am totally overwhelmed. We have chickens right now and we'd like to have a small farm with maybe a couple of horses and a nice garden.

I'm having trouble finding chicken ordinances for more urban areas. We might settle for an acre of land in a subdivision. I found a house in Newark that we love, but it's only 1.7 acres and has neighbors. Anyone from that area and know about the chicken laws? The house is in Old Orchard Estates subdivision.

If you all live in the Hebron area (and half an hour or so outwards in any direction) and know of anything for sale by owner or see any farms for sale that aren't a million dollars please let me know!

Hey guys! My husband got a pretty good job offer in Hebron, Ohio. We're thinking of moving up there from Kentucky. 

I've been browsing real estate online and I am totally overwhelmed. We have chickens right now and we'd like to have a small farm with maybe a couple of horses and a nice garden. 

I'm having trouble finding chicken ordinances for more urban areas. We might settle for an acre of land in a subdivision. I found a house in Newark that we love, but it's only 1.7 acres and has neighbors. Anyone from that area and know about the chicken laws? The house is in Old Orchard Estates subdivision.

If you all live in the Hebron area (and half an hour or so outwards in any direction) and know of anything for sale by owner or see any farms for sale that aren't a million dollars please let me know! 

I can tell you where 1 is in the country that will be up for Sheriff's Sale soon. My ex is getting his house repoed. It's in the country between Heath & Hebron on Beaver Run Rd just off of 79 near the Industrial Park.

Well we have had 2 test hatches for fertility and now our 1st big hatch is set for easter weekend. I now have 2 cooler bators, one I just built Monday to use as a hatcher so I don't have to wait 3 weeks between hatches
hide.gif
. I have also resorted to stacking eggs in the bator to squeeze more in. So if anyone is interested I will have extra chicks I am sure. I live between Troy and Piqua, north of Dayton. I currently have hatchery americana(green egg layers), olive eggers (you guessed it olive green eggs), some mutts of various egg laying colors from brown to green and everything in between, and should have some utility Buckeyes from the Lay line. The Buckeyes will be birds with attributes I am not looking for or just simply to many chicks to choose from lol. The Buckeyes have been an awesome dual purpose addition to our flock and I would highly recommend them. My 4 year old daughter collects their eggs everyday and the birds never bat an eye at her, very friendly birds.

Back
Top Bottom