OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hocking Hills Buckeyes here just discovering the Ohio board. We are a year into our chicken journey and are thoroughly enjoying our new family of 8 hens. Our Amberlink just learned a new trick to get attention...she'll run up and untie a shoe to get you to stop and give her a scratch. This morning I double tied my laces and she tugged until I picked her up. These girls are a hoot!
Cheers from Clear Creek!

:frow Welcome! We're nearby in the Laurelville area! Sounds like a smart bunch of hens you have. I've been thinking about getting some Amberlink chicks to add to our layer group so I'm glad to hear yours are so friendly and sociable :)

Hey there! We go to Laurelville quite a bit. Apples and cider from Bower & Daughters and lunch at the Ridge Inn. The Amberlinks and the RIR are the most personable and friendly gals we have. Both are great layers. Our Amberlinks lay an interesting medium-large egg that is pink on the pointy end blending to dark lavender brown on the other end. Being a hybrid, that color may not be consistent in other Amberlinks as I have seen some that are darker brown. They are fun loving and very curious, usually the first to investigate anything new in the yard. Our Amberlinks originally came from Meyers to my neighbor, and he gifted us a couple.

Welcome to Buckeye board! Your Amberlink must be related to my only Speckled Sussex, she tugged on my shoe laces, pants and hand until I pick her up to pet then she will stop and will go on her way. Be wary of chicken math, I was able to resist having more chicks until the 2nd year into it then I have to renovate and enlarge the coop and the runs 3X already. Irresistible fun!
Ha, too late! We just added our second coop, run and yard for the next generation.... Welsummers, Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers and Light Sussex. Now we know the meaning of "Chicken Obsessed"!

Hey, new to the backyard chicken world and just found this thread. I'm in NE Ohio by Berlin Lake if anyone knows where that is (about 45min west of Youngstown). I don't have any chickens yet but I just placed an order for 4 buckeye ladies and a Meyer meal maker from Meyer hatchery, I'll be picking them up in the middle of May. I can't wait to start this new adventure!

frow.gif
Howdy!
I'm actually across the river from Marietta, but the Ohio folks are so nice, I join you guys!

This brings up something that I have been contemplating lately. Do you think friendliness in chickens is hereditary? Moreso than breed-specific?

I have lavender orpingtons, handled them a bunch when they were little, but they never got very friendly (much better now as adults, though) Everyone says they are lap chickens. Well mine aren't!
roll.png

I have a flock of Seramas that run from me, even after I handled them quite a bit as babies. They are "supposed" to love human interaction. Mine don't really care.
But I recently hatched more, from another source, and they are super sweet!

I have cochins, and some are easy to handle, some are not. Almost all of my OEGB's are very friendly, even the ones that I didn't get to work with as much. And even the broody raised ones. But those came from my original ones that I did handle.

Things that make ya go hmmmmmm....
hu.gif
My theory is friendliness in any given chicken, like people, probably is based in a combination of personality traits, which would tie into heredity, coupled with experiences and environment. Some breeds seem to have tendencies, as many books and reviews will attest, but in the end they are individuals with a complex genetic background. Maybe the truer they are genetically to the breed specifics, the more they follow the tendencies they are "supposed" to have. Theory aside, you could argue that if a trait like friendliness is breed-specific, its roots are hereditary. All of our Amberlinks and RIR are very friendly and seek attention while our 2 Silver-lace Wyandottes and Partridge Plymouth Rock won't let us get within 5 feet. We have one Buff Orpington that will allow you to get close but hates to be picked up. They all get fed the same, treated the same and live in the same environment. So why the differences? Heredity has to play a part. Thanks for the brain teaser!

My theory is friendliness in any given chicken, like people, probably is based in a combination of personality traits, which would tie into heredity, coupled with experiences and environment.  Some breeds seem to have tendencies, as many books and reviews will attest, but in the end they are individuals with a complex genetic background. Maybe the truer they are genetically to the breed specifics, the more they follow the tendencies they are "supposed" to have.  Theory aside, you could argue that if a trait like friendliness is breed-specific, its roots are hereditary. All of our Amberlinks and RIR are very friendly and seek attention while our 2 Silver-lace Wyandottes and Partridge Plymouth Rock won't let us get within 5 feet. We have one Buff Orpington that will allow you to get close but hates to be picked up. They all get fed the same, treated the same and live in the same environment. So why the differences? Heredity has to play a part. Thanks for the brain teaser!

Interesting stuff! I may have to do a little digging on the subject, just out of curiosity! :)

Back
Top Bottom