OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Went out to the coop to find a horrible shock. Both of my roosters are dead. No major injuries, no blood on the floor. A little around their combs and each had a bloody spur. Their combs were oddly dark so the only thing I can think of was they started to scuffle and over heated. They grew up together and never got into major fights. All my older girls were roosting. My younger birds had been outside moments before. I found the boys when I went in to do a head count. So sad...:hit

"Our hens would either lay in the nest when the broody went out to eat/drink, or used the nest next to her nest. We removed the eggs daily, she was not happy that we snuck our hand under her to steal her babies, but she never pecked us, just gave us the evil eye. This went on for a long time, like a month. So far, that was our one and only experience with a broody hen."

We have settled into the same pattern now. The broody comes out in the morning to feed and water, then sets for the day in one of the boxes. The other hens have adjusted and are laying in one of the adjacent boxes. Guess we'll wait her out. We don't need her eggs right now. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think I have broody #25 and #26 since March sitting now. Had one quit on day 14 back in April. A trio of girls sitting together went through 5 weeks (first set of eggs all quit) and another that is still trying after i took all her eggs because she killed the fist 3 chicks. I've yet to be able to break one. There are broody breaking threads with all kinds of ideas, if you really want to break her. Might you consider some fertile eggs for her?

Went out to the coop to find a horrible shock. Both of my roosters are dead. No major injuries, no blood on the floor. A little around their combs and each had a bloody spur. Their combs were oddly dark so the only thing I can think of was they started to scuffle and over heated. They grew up together and never got into major fights. All my older girls were roosting. My younger birds had been outside moments before. I found the boys when I went in to do a head count. So sad...:hit

Wow! So sorry!! :hugs
Could something have gotten in the pen and they both tried to fight it off?

@WVduckchick Thank You.
That was my first thought. I found the second in command rooster first and started looking for the head boy. I didn't see him at first. But I found him about 3 ft from the other boy behind their waterer. I looked everywhere for blood and or feathers. I didn't find anything. I'm stumped. It was one of the hottest days we've had. Stress related heat stroke is the only thing I can think of.

Does any one want a buff cochin cockerel. He's the last of my bantams. Found two dead and one was having seizures in thier coop. The one having seizures passed away while I was holding him about five minutes ago.

Does any one want a buff cochin cockerel. He's the last of my bantams. Found two dead and one was having seizures in thier coop. The one having seizures passed away while I was holding him about five minutes ago.
Nvm.. He went in with the standard flock on his own and they drove him out in the rain. His body was still warm and when I found him by the gate. :/

Nvm.. He went in with the standard flock on his own and they drove him out in the rain. His body was still warm and when I found him by the gate. :/

So sorry. :hugs

I left some of my little ones out yesterday while I was gone for a bit. Gone longer than expected, came home after the heavy rains started and the temps dropped. A few of them found their way back inside, but some went the wrong way, and couldn't find their way back around to the gate. All soaked to the bone, but happy to see me! The smallest was huddled and shivering, so I took her inside, gave her a warm bath and let her sleep in the brooder last night. Crazy weather.

Hi there all you Buckeye folks. It has been awhile. I am trying to find folks in Ohio that raise mandarin ducks. If anyone knows of someone, I would appreciate any info that you might have. Thanks and have a wonderful day! :thumbsup

Anyone use sunblock on their chickens? My girls were wearing saddles until I lost my boys. Now the two girls who had been wearing them the longest and had the most feather loss are a little red looking. I was thinking about putting a little sunblock on their backs. Maybe children's? Thought anyone?

Back
Top Bottom