Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where runamuck is from. Most of my experience with shipped eggs is that they don't hatch that well. Too many variables. If you want to take the risk that is fine. I have sent eggs to people that I knew were good, fresh and fertile but got word back that they didn't get a good hatch.
Just don't have too high of expectations. From my experiences I would say a 25% hatch rate is about
the norm.
Others have had better success I am sure.
Monty

Anyone in Okie land interested in a quad of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. I have a friend with some to sell.
I would say they are "show quality" but since there is no standard for this breed that would an untruth.
I'll just say these are big beautiful healthy birds.
Three hens, a rooster, and 12 five day-old chicks.
Monty

My experience with shipped eggs

4 dozen 6 were broke and 6 were cracked in shipping I set 36 ( and at least 32 were developing)in one incubator which sister fried because she does not understand just barely touch the knob to adjust .

1 dozen poorly wrapped no development

2 dozen replacements for 1 dozen better wrapped but no developement and horrible floating air sac.

However my grandparents used to have ostrich eggs shipped over from Africa never had a problem.

Country I have to know what age are the cochins ( I am addicted to my 4 and really want to get some more) where and how much? too bad hubbie helps with chickens or I could sneak them in I am looking for about 4 more laying age or close to laying hens or pullets..

Last edited:
I hate to hear that about the eggs being broken. I did participate in a discusion about eggs and the cold, and it was determined that eggs shipped better in the cold. So now may be a good time to try. I'm hoping my grandmother's antique bator will keep up the good luck its been giving me! *fingers crossed*

I'm not sure how old the Cochins are, but I have pictures that she sent me. She is located about an hour south of OKC; I'm not sure if she still has them or not. Let me know if you are truely interested in them and I will contact her.

I've been wondering, does anyone know if the post office will let you insure eggs? And does that insurance policy include covering breakage? I'm guessing not, since no one seems to take advanage of it.

Is she in Blanchard? that is where I bought the ones I have and I want to bring in another line. If not I may be very interested in them.

The post office does not usually insure eggs everyonce in a while one will slip through insured however I do not know if they paid out or not.

big_smile.png
Hi everyone, another Okie here! I'm another Fighting Chick from Chickasha!!! I have been reading the board for awhile, but this is my first post! I have Rhode Island Reds and some other misc chicks from Atwoods. Also 6 ducks. I made a home made incubator and I'm got two eggs in there testing it out! Has anyone been to the Marlow flea market lately? In the summer they had a lot of birds. Could kick myself for not getting some blue slate turkeys there!! Nice to meet you all, phyllis

Luvz - Yes, she's in Blanchard. Well pooh, I tried!

Foghorn - Welcome to the board! Another Chicken Towner! I bet I've run into you at Atwoods at some point, I'm there alot. *ha* What are you miscellaneous chickens? Any bantams? And when is the Marlow market?

Okie - Thanks for the Craigslist link! I tried e-mailing them, hopefully they will answer.

Last edited:
Countyroad, the Marlow Flea Market is the first Saturday of the month. It's on the north side of Marlow right next to that big honky tonk place, the High Chaparrel or something like that. I did get a dozen banties from Atwoods, but they were all roosters except three. And those are only about the size of robins. Real tiny little birds and boy are they flighty! I gave all the roosters away and still have the tiny birds. Everytime I went in Atwoods they would make me a deal on their older chicks. I think I got about 60 all together. I had a major addiction!! Most of the ones that were tagged pullets were roosters too. I thought I had gotten rid of all but two roosters and now I see I have seven instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom