? on converting a chain link dog run into my chicken run...

Brelansmama

Songster
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
McMinnville, Oregon
I am planning on reinforcing the inside walls of the chain link with either 1 in chicken wire, or hardware cloth, but only about 2 feet up the walls, to save $.
Will that be safe?
The flock will be secured in the coop at night, which is predator proof, so it they will only be in the run during daylight.
I figure nothing (coon or the like) would be able to reach their nasty little arms up and over the hardware cloth wall at that height.
This is my first coop & run, so please tell me if I am wrong...I want my girls to be safe, but don't have the $ to build them Alcatraz
tongue.png

Any thought would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!

That's exactly what we did as well for our Millies & OEGB - you really can't see the wire though in this pic. We did put netting on the top to ward off hawks. They now have a nice coop to go into at night instead of the igloo - I've just not taken an updated pic w/ the new coop.

We used an old dog kennel just for mama hen and her chicks when they were outdoors. We used hardware cloth about 3 feet up all around the kennel. Make sure you cover the areas where the sections meet. We zip-tied the hardware cloth to the chain link.

Also, if you have a gate in the pen (so you can have easy access to clean the run), make sure you put a secure lock on the gate. If a toddler can easily open your gate, so can a raccoon.

Flight netting will keep hawks and owls from flying in from above. And a tarp over a portion of the kennel will give your birds shade in warm weather and from rain.

I too have an old dog kennel that I plan on using for my chicken run. Anyone know if extra panels can be purchased?

The run won't be permanent as I plan on moving it once a year (probably in the spring) so a garden can be planted where the chicken run was the previous year.

Take a look at how the wire is secured on these panels. If you want a kennel panel to be dog and large predator proof use a 5/16s rod and extra tension bands to secure the wire to the bottom rail. Lining with chicken wire or hardware cloth is only necessary if you put chicks in the enclosure.

009-1.jpg

Some coops and runs with kennel panels

140.jpg

Some temporary coops with panels

002-2.jpg

Last edited:
My local Lowes and Home Depot have completed panels already put together or you can buy everything need and put together yourself.

I love my dog kennel run. I just moved it over to the coop last weekend and reassembled then put one extra 12' x 6' left over panel on top of one end that I then put a tarp over for shade and to keep them out of the rain. Then zip tied plastic garden netting over all of it. PHEW!!! What a job to tackle alone.

This weekend, I'll zip tie the hardware cloth on the bottom 2-3 ft so nothing can reach in and grab a handful of chicken.

May seem like a silly question BUT... why do you put smaller wire around the bottom if they have a secure house to be locked up in at night?

We live in Portland, in a suburb. I have never seen racoons at all in our area, though I am sure they exist as people have posted about them in Portland. I have seen a opossum in my area but it was at almost nightfall walking down the street.
We are getting a large dog run for the girls today to replace their short homemade run, but they have a secure house that they are locked up in at night. It would have to be something BIG and STRONG to get into the house, DH made sure of that.
Do we need to put smaller wire on the bottom part of the sides of the dog run to keep out predators when its only used during the day? I am home all day and the girls are basically supervised all day.

I am in McMinnville, I guess you could call that a 'burb of Portland
tongue.png

I would be willing to bet the coons are there, you just don't see them, they are sneaky little jerks!
I just finished my dog-run-turned-chicken-run, and I went ahead and spent the $30 and lined the inside (just the bottom 2 ft) with 1 inch chicken wire.
I suppose it's up to you, but I feel more comfortable knowing my chicks can't stick there heads out, and get them ripped off by a dog, coon, skunk, or whatever.
If you choose not to, and change your mind, you can always add the wire later, if you are nervous about it.

Back
Top Bottom