OneEyedPeep

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2018
AB0BF3E8-5B6B-416F-9F11-3F79750734BD.jpeg
D1E8F065-3D32-4EA3-A204-EA51E239C705.jpeg
47B15A78-365C-4A43-AEC2-999CD5DA9D55.jpeg
Hello all, so I went in to TSC 3 weeks ago and happened to look at the ducklings, when I noticed a duckling on the smaller side that was missing an eye. The ducklings only remaining eye was also infected. I knew the duckling didn’t stand a chance as the other ducklings with it were quite mean to him/her and who the heck was going to buy a one eyed duckling?! I took the little one home and set him/her up in a plastic tub with shavings, a water dispenser, and duckling starter feed by a Purina. I’m a vet tech and managed to get the ducklings remaining eye cleared up with antibiotics in about a week. Just to inform everyone, my duckling most definitely does NOT have a left eye, and on that same side my duckling’s beak is deformed and indented. Did this occur when the duckling was in the egg? Is it a birth defect or a result of trauma? Well my duckling, I’m assuming is now approx. a month old, and I have a LOT of questions! How can I tell the breed and sex of my duckling?! He/she is growing very well and we’ll be keeping him/her as a pet long term. I could use some help;
What bedding is best for a duck?

How often should he/she be allowed to swim in a baby pool that I bought?

When do I switch from a duckling starter feed to something else, and what feed is that?

I read that fruits and veggies can be VERY good for ducks, so I’ve given finely cut strawberries to him/her. Is that okay? What other fruits veggies are safe to give?

Will he/she be okay as a solitary duck if he/she receives a lot of attention and affection daily?

What type of enclosure is best to keep the duckling in at night outside?

Thank you all SO much!!!

It'll take a while to tell, especially depending on breed. Is that a Pekin?

I don't remember what bedding I used, but it was some kind of shavings from TSC - don't use cedar! Someone else can help you out there, I'm sure. Or ask what they keep theirs on currently at TSC.
I wouldn't let it swim in a full pool until you know it's healthy and it's got some feathers going on instead of just downy, and even then, it's best to supervise. I didn't let mine really get out of leg-deep water for them for a couple weeks, maybe 6ish?
I can't remember the full name of it, but there is a waterfowl? duck? game bird?? feed that's supposed to be good for them. I'd just keep it on starter feed for a bit until it's got it's feathers in.
There's a toxic list for birds here, but I'd look through the forums for ducks specifically here. http://www.chickendvm.com/toxic.php Also, wait before giving that - they do need grit to digest it properly, which you can get from feed stores as well.
It depends; I've seen some house ducks do well, but at the end of the day, it is a flock animal. You know your bird best, but I'm sure it'd be much happier with a friend or two.
I wouldn't keep it out at night, especially this time of year (depending on where you are) - it'll be getting colder, especially depending on where you put it and with it being alone; it could get even more stressed outside alone. Do you have a safe garage or somewhere inside to keep it? When it can go outside, there are chicken tractors you could use, but make sure they're predator proof and plenty of room!

Try to get it on duck vitamins ASAP to avoid deficiencies, especially niacin. http://www.metzerfarms.com/BooksAndEquipment.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=22054924&Category=Nutrition I personally used the vitamins (and feed) from here, because it's where I got my birds.

Also, is that blood? Where is it's injury? How are it's droppings?

Most of your questions can be answered here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/
*Minimal swim time until fully feathered.
*I used pine flakes - the bigger sized.
*I've used purina all flock from the start.
There are some on byc with a single duck, but ducks are flock animals and would do great with flock mates. If you will be keeping it outside and not in the house, it needs other ducks for company. You would need a fortress made out of hardware cloth to keep predators at bay - just like chickens.
I would read through the sticky to get some ideas.
Good luck and welcome to byc.

Kudos to you for taking the baby home. A friend once told me that the eyeless kitten I had rescued should have been put to sleep; 10 years late, Magoo is still king of the house pets.

You will, no doubt, find plenty of good information on how to care for your duckling. But you've already given the most important thing: a chance to live with a caring owner. Good luck and keep us posted, please.

Cute. You can let the Duckling swim daily. Ducks do much better with another Duck for companionship. They get very lonely. Try and locate a feed for all Birds or a Duck specific feed. You can feed it all types of fresh veggies. I feed tomatoes, Romain Lettuce, Peas, cucumber, watermelon..Grasses outside they love.
A predator proof house and Run is all they need.

How many? and where did they come from?
My device totally took me to the wrong thread, whoops! :gig
I got them from Freedom hatchery but the postal sercive lost them in shipping and they got here three days late, honestly I expected maybe 5-10 to still be alive but 28 made it here. Unfortunately I lost 4 between when they got here at 7 and last night. I wasn’t sure if all of them would make the night or not.

Back
Top Bottom