One month brood along / integrate along - from feed store to coop

Great update, thanks! I hope you post pictures of the littles with bigs!! Mine won't be very impressive since they're so old now. In fact the oldest one, the Lavender Wyandotte (Jimmy H.) is as big as my smallest CCL hen. IT's TIME, booting the separation fence this weekend, rain or shine!

4/29 First night in coop. Chicks are 34 and 41 days old. Low of 40F and rainy.

Chicks have now been at home for a full month!

Well it was supposed to be a full day of rain today, but the rain didn't come so I pulled the trigger and booted the babies from the brooder... just in time for it to start raining hard at sunset, sigh. So we had to nab the chicks real fast from where they were huddled in the now-empty brooder and stuff them into the coop. They will be gathered up and caged each night until they decide to follow the adults in on their own, and hopefully up onto the roost.

No photos of the current set up since I set it up late in the day but it's the same as previous, a small rat cage topped with cardboard to catch poop from above:
early8.jpg

Last edited:
4/30 Post-first night in coop. Chicks are 35 and 42 days old. 56F and lightly drizzling.

I was a bit concerned as it dipped down to about 39F late last night, but the chicks did just fine in the coop, sans heat, despite their earlier protests. So we'll continue to cage them nightly in the coop until they decide roosting is more appealing.

Since the brooder is now emptied out that also means their feeder is gone so they have to eat from the adults' food bowls and feeder (but they've been doing that for the most part for the last week or so). They get to keep the waterer for now since reaching the horizontal nipples might still be a bit of a stretch.

Obligatory photos!

2024chicks15.jpg

2024chicks16.jpg

Photobomb!

Even better, the littles put themselves into the coop at sunset. While they didn't roost (they tucked themselves next to the cage and huddled there, so we moved them to inside the cage once it was nearly dark) the fact that it only took a day for them to head into the coop after having been brooded outside for 4 weeks is pretty impressive to me. Might try putting them directly on the roost in the next day or two and see how that goes, if they don't roost by themselves.

2024chicks17.jpg

Last edited:
5/2 Using the adult waterer. Chicks are 37 and 44 days old.

Guess what I saw while I was mowing the lawn - Floof drinking from the nipple waterer!

2024chicks18.jpg

I looked over each time I did a lap to see if I could catch the other three drinking. Caught Flair and Florentine as well, with Flan following them (but not drinking). So I'll need to keep an eye on her especially since she's the smallest, but for now, I'll consider the water hurdle cleared.

Now I just need them to roost...

Is Flan not only small but shy? I'll be jealous if she's extraverted. My Barnevelder is SO shy, I can't seem to make her love me, boo.
Shy for sure. Probably not the most intelligent of the bunch either. 😅 She's the one most often wandering by herself, without the chick posse. The others will take food out of my hand but I pretty much have to throw it at her if I want her to get a treat.

I did nab her this afternoon and gently mashed her face into the nipple a few times to help her figure out how it worked, then after I released her she backed away a couple inches and made displeased sounds at me. I apologized and stroked her chest for a couple of seconds. Probably the first time she didn't immediately flee after contact with me.

Shy for sure. Probably not the most intelligent of the bunch either. 😅 She's the one most often wandering by herself, without the chick posse. The others will take food out of my hand but I pretty much have to throw it at her if I want her to get a treat.

I did nab her this afternoon and gently mashed her face into the nipple a few times to help her figure out how it worked, then after I released her she backed away a couple inches and made displeased sounds at me. I apologized and stroked her chest for a couple of seconds. Probably the first time she didn't immediately flee after contact with me.
🤣 🤣 Throw it at her, lol! Maybe the face mashing will help you win her over! So far nothing works with Mochalita for me even though she'll let my husband help her off the roost bar in the morning because she's always the last one out. She does seem to be last in line for brains.... Very pretty though!

It's been nearly 4 years since we've added new chicks to our flock of hens. Rather than tack onto my existing brooder set up and early integration article, I decided to do a brood along / integrate along thread for 2024, so I can touch on chick development and integration as it happens, and maybe folks who are brooding or integrating for the first time will find it helpful to have someone going through the same process with them. :)

Specific set up info in my article linked above. As I brood outdoors in the run with a mama heating pad, I will include temperatures as I know a common concern is that chicks are too cold or too young to deal with being outside, or around older birds. I won't be updating daily but just adding on as things happen. My goal is to have the chicks fully off heat and integrated into the coop in a month's time - let's see if that happens!

3/29 Welcome home! Chicks are 2-3 days and 9-10 days old. 57F daytime and dry.

We picked up 4 pullet chicks from the feed store: a newly arrived Silver-Laced Wynadotte, Barnevelder, Blue (Copper?) Marans, and a Crevecoeur that's one week older than the rest. Once we got home I dipped everyone's beaks in water, then pushed them under the heating pad (they immediately popped back out). It took them a little bit to figure out that the heating pad was "mama" and then it went from shrill screaming to blissful silence for most of the afternoon. As the Crevecoeur was a bit lethargic and pasted up when I checked on them later, I picked the poop off her rear and gave her 1-2 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench directly in the mouth.

3/30 First full day home. Temperature and weather same as day before.

Admittedly I find the first night to be miserable and sleepless, as I constantly worry it's too cold or that the heating pad malfunctioned. This is our 4th batch of chicks and it's always the same old worries! But everyone survived the night under the mama heating pad, with ambient temps around 40F or so.

The Crevecoeur was much more bouncy and energetic. Since I hadn't witnessed the chicks eating or drinking for any significant length of time (they spent most of the previous afternoon sleeping), I once again dipped their beaks in water, and tapped at the feeder to simulate a hen encouraging chicks to eat. They took to both eating and drinking after that, and even enjoyed spending some time in the sunshine in the back of the brooder.

View attachment 3787866
View attachment 3787867
For our last 4 chicks that we got in April 2020, we did something similar. We live in SW Missouri where spring can be unsettled but where it can get quite warm. As they outgrew their indoor brooder my husband decided to build a portable coop-run to use for the chicks as they grew and then in our back chicken yard for all the chickens to use as their outdoor hangout (they free range on about 11/2 acres). He would wheel it outside from our garage during the day so the little girls could roam around in a safe grassy place. He could move it around the yard each day and then wheel it back into the garage at night. We still use it and the chickens (and sometimes the wild rabbits) go in to grab a snack or roost on the bars when it’s windy, cold or rainy. we put plastic around it during months and remove it in the warm weather. See photo

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpeg
    IMG_1951.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom