Ordered some horizontal water nipples.

I love horizontal nipple waterers for my adult chickens. There is nothing I don't like about them. They don't leak BTW. They were NOT suitable for the same chickens when they were chicks. They weren't strong enough to press them correctly to get the water out. I don't know if it's because of the specific nipples I have or if this is an issue for all chicks. I do know that vertical nipples are very easy for chicks to use, however mine leaked terribly so I took them out.

My chicks have been on them from 13 days old. They are incredible, they never leak or drip a drop of water below them, and the chicks learned to use them in less than 3 minutes after I showed one or two out of the six by using their beak to activate it.

Important - REMOVE all water sources if you want them to learn these. If you leave another water source present, or insist on watching your chicks for hours after you install these, you will convince yourself that they don’t understand and are thirsting to death. This is a waste of your time and energy.

Second - understand that chickens do not push in the metal pole. Instead they push it to the side (horizontally) and water trickles directly into their beak. Your natural instinct is to think you push it directly in to make it work but that’s not how it works (although it does work that way, that’s not how they use it and it’s much easier the other way).

You are going to love it! No water waste. I use a snap on lid with about 5” of it loosely unsnapped (no visible gap) so that it’s not air tight so water flows easily at the bottom. Alternatively you could just poke a little hole at the top somewhere.

Regarding “rickety stands” I recommend using cinderblocks. They cost like 2 dollars and are not rickety.

Attachments

• F740DC5E-5470-481E-ACE7-3FBB8E8D1390.jpeg
    F740DC5E-5470-481E-ACE7-3FBB8E8D1390.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 9ED8F533-C950-4A0A-B1D5-261E61FFC1F6.jpeg
    9ED8F533-C950-4A0A-B1D5-261E61FFC1F6.jpeg
    563.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 276EE5AB-4DDF-4300-8B59-64C8B79074C9.jpeg
    276EE5AB-4DDF-4300-8B59-64C8B79074C9.jpeg
    556.1 KB · Views: 22
My chicks have been on them from 13 days old. They are incredible, they never leak or drip a drop of water below them, and the chicks learned to use them in less than 3 minutes.

Important - REMOVE all water sources if you want them to learn these. If you leave another water source present, or insist on watching your chicks for hours after you install these, you will convince yourself that they don’t understand and are thirsting to death. This is a waste of your time and energy.

Second - understand that chickens do not push in the metal pole. Instead they push it to the side (horizontally) and water trickles directly into their beak. Your natural instinct is to think you push it directly in to make it work but that’s not how it works (although it does work that way, that’s not how they use it and it’s much easier the other way).

You are going to love it! No water waste. I use a snap on lid with about 5” of it loosely unsnapped (no visible gap) so that it’s not air tight so water flows easily at the bottom. Alternatively you could just poke a little hole at the top somewhere.

Regarding “rickety stands” I recommend using cinderblocks. They cost like 2 dollars and are not rickety.
Yours must be easier flowing than mine. My chicks tried pressing them from the side but still weren't strong enough to get water to flow out. I think mine are strongly sealed. I see yours are the cross style. Mine are slightly different looking.

Photo for reference. This style works well for my adult chickens but they weren't strong enough to use them when they were chicks.
20180413_100412.jpg

After a lot of research, I decided to go with the horizontal water nipples. I found a couple threads on this in this forum. How many of you are using them and how do you like/dislike them?

I LOVE THEM! Directions say to wait until the chicks are about 8 days old but I have found depending. Pack comes in 5 Horizontal Nipples so I made 2 containers, one for chicks & another for adults ... Purchased a 8pc (container + lids) set from Walmart, worked out cause 2 for water & 2 for my FF.

Follow the directions for installing the nipples AND drill a small hole to the top of the rim for venting. Directions don't say it but Hubby says common sense (duh), couldn't figure out why the water wasn't coming out ... Venting works! I also marked a fill line so I could monitor the drinking, if you measure out the water (32oz, 64oz) helps when needing to medicate in the water.

I've found some will take to it easy but then you got the hold outs. From the start I try getting the chicks used to my hand, so when ready to introduce the nipples, they're not afraid of my hand & will come see what I've got going. I don't leave the qt waterer in. Tapping under the sliver part the water dispense, once one gets it the rest will copy.

I've tried showing/teaching adults & older pullets, they do take a bit longer. Again I get them used to my hand, freeze dried mealworms, they'll come check out what my finger's touching. I always tap the nipple, they'll drink up then what happens is when ever I change their water, they'll be waiting at the spot for be to return & tap.

IF you're fermenting their feed, you probably won't see that much of a water level drop.

EDITED - Not 8wks, 8 days sorry

Last edited:
My chicks have been on them from 13 days old. They are incredible, they never leak or drip a drop of water below them, and the chicks learned to use them in less than 3 minutes after I showed one or two out of the six by using their beak to activate it.

Err..duh. I have cinder blocks somewhere and didn't even think of that! I tried screwing WOOD together and that was a problem. Just need it high enough with a limited surface area....Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom