Organic feed recommendations?

StovallChick

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
Hi! We're new to chickens and have 6 baby chicks that are 3 weeks old. We've been feeding them manna pro organic chick starter from TSC, but those little 5 pound bags are adding up fast. Does anyone have any good organic feed they reccomend that's more cost effective? Locally would be preferred (we're south of Ft Worth Tx) but we can order online if need be. Thanks!
1f425.png

Remember that depending on the breeds you have, feed conversion will be two to three pounds of feed per pound body weight. Six birds reaching six pounds each is a minimum of ninety pounds of feed! Never mind spillage, etc. Get big bags of whatever! Try googling organic chicken feed in your area, or call all the feed stores, and check here on the Texas thread. You want FRESH feed, not something that sat in a warehouse somewhere. Feeding all organic is tricky; to be consistant, it includes every snack/ treat/ table scrap that they get. And welcome! Mary

Thanks Mary, will do! Yes ours will be big, we have 3 buff Orps and 3 RIReds. We're thinking to add a couple barred rocks too lol. We've only had chicks for 3 weeks and we're addicted!! lol Luckily we eat all organic veggies so our scraps for them should be easy. So far I tried to give them some celery but they weren't interested lol I think it was too early for them :)

What brand is this organic feed? I see they have Organic Pride (Purina) on the TSC website in select stores. Haven't seen it in PA yet, but it may make it here like Nutrena regular feed finally did. I mentioned that to the clerk & he laughed. They carry Nature's Best in my store for $18.99/10lbs. I have no idea who would buy that when many feed stores around here carry Nature's Best for $35/50 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom