Organizing the Shop...ideas?

CONCRETEBOX

Chirping
Mar 17, 2022
Homer, IL
Hey all,
I've finished the coop and moved on to upgrading the garage/shop. The previous owner installed these pegboards and workbench. I also want to take full advantage of these pegboards. Working on the coop, I decided I spent too much time finding and organizing my tools. I've cleared of the pegboard and workbench to clean and paint it. What's your experience setting up a shop like this? Here's a list of some of the tools I want to put on the pegboard:
  • Levels
  • clamps
  • hammer
  • plyers
  • wire cutters
  • ink pens/pencils
  • hand saws
  • rt. angle square
  • measuring tape (large)
  • measuring tape (small)
  • extension cords
  • duct tape, other tapes
  • scissors
  • ear protection
  • masks
  • gloves
  • safety glasses
  • paper towels
  • drill drivers
  • screw drivers
  • pry bars
  • socket set
  • vacuum tools
  • paint brushes

Attachments

• pegboard.jpg
    pegboard.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 14
The best use of pegboard that I ever saw was with pegs and spots over-sprayed to show the tool that should be hanging. If pliers, or wrench, or saw, wasn't on the board then the outline made it obvious that it was missing and what should be in the open space. Just having the hooks in the spaces wasn't enough for me. For solid tools like wrenches, hammers, pliers, etc. a light coat of Vaseline on the tool, then spraying paint with the tool in its location, then a quick wipe down worked well enough. For larger tools, electronics, etc. hand drawing an outline works ok.

I'm one of those that could never put the tool back in the exact spot, save for sockets. So for us we have a drawer for standard wrenches one for metric. The hammers have a couple hooks and the levels their own. Clamps are hanging from a rafter to the far side of the workbench out of the way.
Everything has an "area" rather then a spot.

A chunk of 1x or a scrap strip of that peg board with large enough holes to drop in the screwdrivers would work pretty well. Then use 2 short peg board hooks to hold it up.

Didn't make the list of tools but i'm sure you have shovels , grass rakes , garden rakes etc.
To store long handle tools vertical with 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe , cut 2 pieces of plywood into a equilateral triangle approx. 12" to 16" / side . Using a pipe standing on the triangle ends mark the radii of the pipe a little less that 1/2 way around the diameter . With one ply member stand the 3 pipes in the radius cuts you just made and band those tight so they remain standing and stable . Near the top , insert the second plywood triangle and band those in tight . If the floor causes the stand to be un - stable , glue a small 3/4" thick wooden foot near each point of the triangle to form a tripod stand for the lower piece of plywood ..

I like your pegboard idea! I discovered that small baskets with holes can be hung with j-hooks (I got my mini baskets at Walmart ~ $1 for a set of 2). Shadowboarding is the way to go - creating a "shadow" shape behind the tool. Contact paper, foam cutouts, or even chalk all work!
20220425_225026.jpg

Didn't make the list of tools but i'm sure you have shovels , grass rakes , garden rakes etc.
To store long handle tools vertical with 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe , cut 2 pieces of plywood into a equilateral triangle approx. 12" to 16" / side . Using a pipe standing on the triangle ends mark the radii of the pipe a little less that 1/2 way around the diameter . With one ply member stand the 3 pipes in the radius cuts you just made and band those tight so they remain standing and stable . Near the top , insert the second plywood triangle and band those in tight . If the floor causes the stand to be un - stable , glue a small 3/4" thick wooden foot near each point of the triangle to form a tripod stand for the lower piece of plywood ..
Interesting idea...All of my long handled tools are stored separately in the shed... Which is somewhat organized. Most of them have a hole in the handle to hang on a nail.

Back
Top Bottom