Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Very nice looking shamo.

HarrisXHyderabadi Asil Stag

Nice
thumbsup.gif

One of my tuzo jap stags that I am sorry to say is no longer with us. One of the neighbors dogs attempted to pull him through his pen. Luckily I still have a brother

Hey Illia, that stag I sent you is not older than 7 mo or so, I don't think I have heard him crow while he was here. He is the product of a repeat breeding and I have no worries about him gaming up when his time comes. If not I will gladly eat my hat and he's kin as well. Those are south Florida birds 45 F is real cold far as they know.

Ish

Oh, I hope I didn't come off as disappointed, no, I'm just noticing and observing.

Well 45 may be really cold to them, but, . . . . It's gonna be between 35-55 degrees for a long time here. 'Tis why I have a heatlamp for them. It doesn't get up to the 70's until July, which even then, you're lucky to see a day in the 80's. It's pretty lame out here. Why I have such a big greenhouse.

Terrible news though - The cuckoo/dom pullet didn't get any better. This morning she was still pretty huddled in the coop, when I tried moving her closer to the lamp she was very weak, so I brought her in the warmer house with food, water, and some supplements just in case. Had to leave for a few hours, when I came back she was dead. I don't know what was going on with her, but, after washing everything down real good that came into contact with her this morning, I checked on the remaining trio tonight and they're still perfectly active, in fact the girls started talking when I came to visit them.

That was a terrible beginning for the poor pullet, I just hope I never see a dead Shamo again for a long time. . . .

Love the birds people are showing off lately, very nice!

Last edited:
From the pics you posted, and what you have said, it sounds like the bird got stressed from shipping. It happens, and there isn't much you can do about it sometimes. I've been shipping birds, and had birds shipped to me for years, and even the most healthy birds can get stressed. If they don't come out of the box perky and wanting to eat and drink as soon as they can, and walk tall and proud, there is an issue. With cock birds, you can break quarantine and put a hen with him, and many times that will snap them back into feeling good, but with young birds, and pullets especially, there isn't much you can do but wait it out and hope for the best.

Another pic of my thai with some of the ladies. Hen in back is a pyle the p comb is a spangle roundhead. Going to work on gettin him some oriental ladies this coming week

Well, today was his day.
smile.png
After a slightly unexpected fight broke out between one of my Polish and Araucanas, the stag saw it all, and as usual - The way to a Shamo's heart is violence. He immediately started standing upright and flapped his wings, beginning a long series of crows. And - They're very nice and deep. Love a Shamo with a good, deep crow.

Standing upright. This gives an idea of his station/carriage of body.

Crowing. And as usual, the entire time the girls were just grazing like cattle.

So again, thanks pride&joy, and they're very nice! The dom pullet was a sad loss but I'm still very happy with this trio. The family still loves the dark girl especially.

I have a 4 month+ trio of reza style asil. Should be around 5 lbs. I have hogs also so I have lots of 14%milled hog grower. By milled I mean just course ground grains plus supplement. I've been soaking this in hot water and feeding it along with 16% layer pellets. I feed both seperate and they seem to eat about the same amount of each. I will have them in a day range once things green up. For now I gave them a shovel of grass sod to pick through and have oyster shell and DE free feed. My questions are: Am I missing anything in their diet? Will the extra calcium in the layer crumbles hurt my stag? And when should I expect them to start laying. I think I might have missed out until fall. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I will get some pics up as soon as I can. Thanks Blaine

Back
Top Bottom