Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Got Game-I really like that black/white chick. I hatched a few Cubalayas this year that are almost the same color pattern. It will be great to see how they mature!

Quote:
Thanks. Ya, it is interesting, it is from a white cockbird over a blue red hen. The white cockbird is from a pumpkin cock over a black hen. Aint genetics funny, lol....its a special chick, from a very old and hard to find bloodline. Only 1 out of 6 to hatch for me. I am working on gettin a line of golds going that breeds at least semi true. I am going to put that gold stag back over his golden mother, and I am also going to put that golden dom stag over the gold hen. I think the gold and pumpkin is the most gorgeous color on a bird I have ever seen. MAYBE tied with a real nice blue spangled, lol...hopin to add some of that to some of these birds soon.

Quote:
Yes, theyve changed them quiet a bit. I fell in love with Yoshi, somthing that's made me want to breed Shamos that are, you know, actual Shamos. She's not very big, and doesnt stand straight like she should. When you say gamey, do you mean in the antagonistic way? She doesnt fight at all, except now. (She went broody and hatched chicks. Shes a great mother, and fought anything that came near) I dont think she's purebred because her looks are not like the original shamos, and she's getting white feathers on her head. (not from age, shes a year old) She's still got the kinda broad head and the hard feathering. She is pretty smart, shes the only chicken who figured out to use the doggie door to come in and eat all the dog food.

I'll post a picture in the morning. She's great, but she's no where near as pretty and gamey looking as the purebred birds. Think of her as a Shamo gone to seed. :]

Two white Aseels [one of which is a holy terror on new birds added to the pen, but easier to get along with once they realize she shouldn't be challenged]

44349_aseels_002.jpg

44349_aseels_007.jpg

A young Dark Cornish cockeral now gone, and some newly added, molting hens the little Aseel helped out a bit with the molting process
sad.png

44349_chickens_105.jpg

44349_cornish_025.jpg

44349_cornish_026.jpg

[They have that stinkeye look even when they're happy to see you
big_smile.png
]
44349_cornish_024.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
How in the world do you keep them at a show without a solid blind between the cages? My two little hens get along with each other and the rest of the flock as long as they give them respect, but the smallest will challenge anything new [male or female], and they can't challenge her through the fence or it's trouble. She's not too easy on them for the rest of the day even after they figure out they bit off more than they can chew, a little slow to forgive and forget; but acts like a real lady in the flock after a day or two [never pecks at the lower status birds if they happen to be near her like some of my layers do]. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get by with adding another Aseel with their mentallity to the pen now, maybe not even a pen that shared a fence.

Quote:
LOL, so true!!!
big_smile.png

This is Shiva, a Shamo, an ex fighting cock who my boyfriend adopted:
afa5160ad165.jpg

He now lives in his own cage.

One of the hens (a mix? sorry I can't remember yet, new to the chicken world...)
577e57f355fb.jpg

And this is Eagle:
cc6eba99b353.jpg

f7eb8b0fc278.jpg

Last edited:
So do my Sumatras count? Sorry I have no pics yet. Bought them on a whim and they are still in the quaranteen area, so too dark of an area for my camera phone. I do intend to try to take some though. I think instead of a breeding trio I may have a trio of roos. Figures, but it's the way my luck goes.

I have American Games and I'm adding Cubalays as soon as I get new shelter built. Also supposed to be getting white Shamo eggs from a neighbor in a month or two, but with my luck he'll change his mind.

Back
Top Bottom