Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

For some reason the birds brooded by a hen are always better birds in just about every way........don't know why, but it seems to come out that way. I know why they are disease resistant, but their body form just seems better too.

Walt

This last year I have come to realize the same thing. Nobody does it better than Momma!

With my personal birds, if they are new birds or a young pullet, I will only incubate the first half dozen eggs. As insurace that I will have spares or back ups if something happens to the broodfowl. After that I let them hatch and raise them on their own. Which, IMO, is one of the best aspects of the OG/AG breeds.

North Indian Stag:

Broodcock was a big old ugly 10lb mule and the hen was slim 8lbs this summer. Looking forward to seeing Titus and his half sister all grown up.

Broodcock:

Broodhen:

North Indian Stag:

Broodcock was a big old ugly 10lb mule and the hen was slim 8lbs this summer. Looking forward to seeing Titus and his half sister all grown up.

Broodcock:

Broodhen:

North Indian Stag:

Broodcock:

Broodhen:

North Indian Stag:

Broodcock:

Broodhen:
He's real nice. He looks like the Malays did before the infusion of big,coarse German blood. Legs, body and neck about equal in height. Compact football shaped body. Wings held on top of saddle.Sickles look like they will be curved the full length and point at the prop toes when he's stationed. I'm not knocking him. I like him alot. Most Orientals in the US are crosses of what was available or what someone added to get the look they wanted. No ill will intended. Good luck in your breeding program i like all your birds alot. Tom

Lol....no offense taken friend. I can assure you there is no Malay or any other blood in this line of Asils. As adults they will be about the size of a lg Ganoi or Chu shamo.
They were acquired from a Persian gentleman who only has one purpose for keeping them and it isn't to make soup...lol.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Lol....no offense taken friend. I can assure you there is no Malay or any other blood in this line of Asils. As adults they will be about the size of a lg Ganoi or Chu shamo.
They were acquired from a Persian gentleman who only has one purpose for keeping them and it isn't to make soup...lol.
Thanks for the kind comments.
I wasn't questioning the purity just pointing out the similarities as I saw them. The differences between Oriental breeds are very subtle and selecting for performance makes them even more so. Keep up the good work, Tom

Many types of OG are called Asil in the eastern part of the world. If you received him from someone from that area of the world, that could be the reason for calling them Asil. The birds in your pics don't show typical type for a North Indian Asil to my eye. Things like the comb, head structure, white earlobe, and general body structure are what I'm referring to. Now you can only tell so much from pictures, but these aren't something I would consider North Indians personally. The Kulang types from India and Pakistan are tall lanky birds compared to Reza types, but the head really doesn't fit type wise for those either. Just my two cents as well, no disrespect intended either.

Thanks Tom!

Cuda, as stated earlier, no offense taken buddy, as I know you are not familiar with this line. But I will give you a little background on them since this is probably your first time seeing them. I should have mentioned that the stag is quite young, has excellent station, but not as tall as the photos make him look. When mature he should be around the size of a big Ganoi with the speed of a large Thai. At least his father was and so are my expectations of the stag.

Furthermore, the stags will lose the white lobes as they mature, the flat comb begins to rise but if I am lucky it will lay low and bulge more to the front. Their eyes turn from a light golden color to a very silvery pearl and the heads and beaks… well, the heads altogether are some thing to behold.

North Indian Asil to me is not an archetype but rather a demographic label used to describe a region of origin from where the birds originated. A bit like non-Americans using the term Americans and thinking everyone looks like John Wayne.

Purely out of discussion, I wonder if you can share with me/us what a typical North Indian Asil should look like? Not to jump the gun but I hope you don’t think that all North Indians should or need to look like Ike’s beautiful birds?

Here are a couple photos of other Indians, typifying the diversity in the little area known as North India. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Well, in the US, a N Indian is basically a large end Reza type. They will run typically in the 5 to 7 lb range, but still built like a Reza. They are also not particularly quick, but extremely powerful. They also tend to be stand up birds. Also, an Asil should never show white earlobes at any time in my opinion, and is a sure sign of infused blood at some point. Your birds have good oriental type, other than that, just not good asil type from what I can see. I would say there is a heavy Malay background in there somewhere to get the body and head I'm seeing, but as I said earlier, when you talk to eastern people, they use the word asil more by the definition of the word than a breed persay. JMO

Back
Top Bottom