Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

It is a qualifying meet for the Ko's so there will be 50 or more in the show and im sure there will be several for sale. You should try to make it. I think it is the 25th an 26th. Saturday is usually the best day to look at the birds

Cubakid, What is crow wing? That's a new color for me. I have had wheaten, white and buff out of my wheatens.
Crow wing is the pattern of the birchen, lemon blue, brown red, and silver blue family. Colored hackle, saddle, back, and wing bow. The Ko's have been color bred the past couple of years, so i doubt you will get much more than wheaten, maybe a white, but if they are wheaten they will probably throw more wheatens.

The PPBA show will be held the last weekend in January at the San Joaquin County Fairgrounds in Stockton. We are hoping to get a really good turn out of Ko's.

Around what age to Orientals (specifically, Thais) start to lay? Not that I am in a hurry to get eggs, just wanted to get a time frame. My silkies normally take 8 or more months, so I'm used to waiting. I believe my pullet is around six months currently.

A lot depends on the particular size of the Oriental in question: larger fowl seem to take longer. A good rule of thumb is between 6 and 8 months; provided all other things are correct (like protein content of feed).

My suggestion is not to breed to an Oriental pullet; wait until the bird is at least 2 years of age; older is even better.

Neither. She has to prove that she can live for two years before I'll breed her. Longevity should be part of any breed in my opinion. Longevity can and should be bred into a line. I don't care if the pullet is the best looking on the yard; she's still got to live 2 full years before being bred.
To many people are irresponsible breeders just throwing together pullets and stags without taking care of the breed itself. I have hens that are 10 years+ that I still use.

I remember back in the legal days several of the top cockers found that using pullets produced their best Warriors ...... they were using the pullets with mature cocks . Also heard this done in reverse .
I've also heard that young chickens are at their best reproductive stage (young hens/pullets and bull stag) they will posess in their lifetime .

Nothing wrong with waiting for maturity especially if one has plenty of fowl and resourses ...... being careful never hurts one at all .

Just remember there are Exceptions in everything ....... just hang around long enough and you will see it .

Back
Top Bottom