Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Poking around on the VN birds, I found these pics.

I can really see the wrinkled thicker skin on these boys.

Okay I found a site that gives all sorts of info on the birds, including different types, but I think it has a forum so might be rule violation to post address.

So I have learned there are different types, hennie and regular feathered, different sizes, spurred and non-spurred types, all sorts of stuff... cool breed.

I had an idea to rebuild my flock after the dog attack! If anyone local has roosters that need dubbing ill take certain hens or certain roos as payment and if you have grey JF hens ill dub a lot of birds

Last edited:
My chicks were bought as "Jungle Fowl", specifically Saipan and Thai (I knew to begin with that odds were slim, but I don't mind spending a little extra money for an interesting bird). They are just about 8 weeks old and I would like to know if they are even close to being what they were sold as.

The two "Thai" look rather like Sumatra to me, though aren't completely black-faced like my Sumatra bantam girl.

As chicks:

And within the past week:

Couldn't say what the others look like, as I haven't seen anything similar. The second one died recently (stood outside in the rain for a few hours the other night, found dead in the pen with no injuries not long after it had died (hadn't even gone stiff yet, which made me feel terrible; if I had gotten home from work a bit sooner, I probably could have saved it). Bought two more to "replace" it (less than a week old).

As chicks:

Within the past week, and before the second one died:

They all seem to tuck their heads in whenever I try to take pics of them.

My chicks were bought as "Jungle Fowl", specifically Saipan and Thai (I knew to begin with that odds were slim, but I don't mind spending a little extra money for an interesting bird). They are just about 8 weeks old and I would like to know if they are even close to being what they were sold as. The two "Thai" look rather like Sumatra to me, though aren't completely black-faced like my Sumatra bantam girl. As chicks: And within the past week: Couldn't say what the others look like, as I haven't seen anything similar. The second one died recently (stood outside in the rain for a few hours the other night, found dead in the pen with no injuries not long after it had died (hadn't even gone stiff yet, which made me feel terrible; if I had gotten home from work a bit sooner, I probably could have saved it). Bought two more to "replace" it (less than a week old). As chicks: Within the past week, and before the second one died: They all seem to tuck their heads in whenever I try to take pics of them.
they look ok to me :) whered you get your bantam sumatra? I've been looking for a hen

I actually got her from the assorted bantam bin at the feed store. They get their stock from Ideal. I don't have the money for quality birds, but I don't mind, since I have them for personal enjoyment (and discovery, in regards to the assortment bin). She's approximately 12 weeks old.

It is probably a real chicken, over on one of the NN threads I just joined there is a recent post of pics of someones all naked hen. I guess every now and then these are born... (got to learn about them all know... lol, the chicken OCD strikes again!). No plucking chicken dinner! I believe some folks are working on a meat strain that is naked naked.
LOL what? I knew it was a "real" chicken by the fact that it is a real picture. I was just wondering if it was someone from this threads bird. And yes I also know about the naked/scaleless meat chickens who don't require plucking.

LOL what? I knew it was a "real" chicken by the fact that it is a real picture. I was just wondering if it was someone from this threads bird. And yes I also know about the naked/scaleless meat chickens who don't require plucking.
you gotta be plucking kidding! lol ( couldn't resist )

I actually got her from the assorted bantam bin at the feed store. They get their stock from Ideal. I don't have the money for quality birds, but I don't mind, since I have them for personal enjoyment (and discovery, in regards to the assortment bin). She's approximately 12 weeks old.
perty! I'd like to own her lol

Oh, misunderstood... LOL

Since this is a fairly international group:

I need ideas for keeping critters out: in the past I have lost birds to dogs, I have actually watched them scale 6 foot wood fence to get into flock area, tried chain link, but then the wild critters still got in. As I will try small birds I am concerned that they will have less survival chance then my LF did in the past.

So here is my list of predators to worry about in my suburb (I actually see these critters while working through out the urban cities, suburbs and rural areas I travel in... most people are in office buildings so they are clueless what lives in their neighborhood): Mountain Lion, Hawks, Vultures, Owls, Snakes, Opossum, Raccoon, Sewer Rats, Coyotes, Foxes, Dogs, Domestic Cats, Skunks, Otters, and Weasels.

I am thinking when I build the coop/pen area I need to make it hard to burrow under, covered and maybe different fencing materials... so ideas welcome. Oh anyone tried cameras of various types for night monitoring?

Oh that is good to know, thanks for the info. I will add Saigon to my list of game breeds/lines to read up on and try and get visual images on and locate possable breeders for future chicken raising. I find these naked necked oriental breeds cool.

So Ga Noi has thicker skin interesting. Do you know if they are a spured breed or spurless? I would imagine the Saigon is more variable on spurs?
In general, the term Ga Noi means Purebred in VietNam. However, there are 2 distinguish types of Ga Noi. One the Vietnam folks use in postiza combat and they call them GaNoi Cua, which indicates "Spur" type. The birds has pretty plumage and fast grow spur. The other GaNoi type is called GaNoi Don. GaNoi Don is builky, heavy bone and ,muscular. The Vietnam folks use them in tape boxing where style and power are main factors. In US, many non Vietnamese likes to raise GaNoi Don and started to call them "Ga Noi" in short. In general, GaNoi Don has slow grow spur, in a few breed the spur won't be long. A famous line called Luc Dinh (6 spur) always have real short spur or won't even grow long enough.

The GaNoi Don when raised in Vietnam are poor feathering and stay naked to 13-14 months. The folks there trimmed the feathers at the head, neck, thigh and lower body area. This is to help the ventilation. They also apply tumeric to condition the skin. Northern VNese also like to trim the chest naked. In US, the GaNoi Don adapts to the weather and only stay naked to crowing age. They need the feather to survive the cold winter. Many folks maintain the naked red skin by trimming feather when the temp warm enough.

You can find many folks raising them to remember their country and their childhood. I am not sure where you live but here in US, we have plenty. Some raise them pure, some cross. I will leave you with your thought to figure out ... who has these.

Back
Top Bottom