Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

My fathers red jungle fowl pair stag and pullet, need to get a photo of the hen later
He is nice... there are several sub-species of RJF, and yes earlobe color is one of the differences between sub-species. Most RJF in USA & Australia are a mix of sub-species because people (mainly zoos at the time) did not understand there where sub-species. Even wild caught birds could have a little domestic in them so now DNA testing as been started if I understand correctly my research to help preserve the RJF in captivity by some folks/zoos/universities. I specifically had the Vietnamese sub-species years ago... it was a gift and I found RJF to be fascinating. First their flight ability is amazing. The RJF hen we had looked so different next to the laying &standard sized ornamental & meat chickens we had everyone who saw her thought she was not a chicken (grant you they where all city folks, but they honestly thought she was not a chicken). They all thought she was a pheasant. She had different sounds she made too that our other hens did not. She was an excellent sentinel always on the look out for threats. She also did not "flock" the same as the other girls. She preferred being in cover either high in trees (the fig was one of her favorite trees as she had height and could guard the flock of domestic birds) or in shrubs, she avoided open areas unless flying to the top one of the Redwoods in the neighborhood. She was tame enough we could catch her as she knew the recall command the same as the other birds in the flock.

Coming when called, a worthy thing to teach your birds btw, my daughter showed and at one show her birds where attacked in the night by another competitor and others released. Just her birds. It was very clear to everyone showing the next day that a crazy person was showing too, as it is very low to try and maim or kill birds in cages being shown by a little child. Long story short we know based on which animals where attacked physically it was an adult shower, as my kid was the only kid to have her birds bumped into that level to compete. However what ever extra satisfaction the sicko would have gotten from watching us trying to get birds out of rafters was foiled when my kid stood in the middle of the huge building and started whistling, every released bird came running or flying to her, where collected, checked & treated for injuries, given treats and caged. I think the first goose attacked (which was the smaller one) put up such a fight that the attacker was afraid of my kids other birds, they did try and do something to the other goose too but based on the blood not belonging to him I think he fought back too, and being twice the size of the maimed one scarred the person off.

Back
Top Bottom