Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I don't see Shamo as much as Asil, maybe some Thai with lobes like that. I'm a newbie though so take it for what it's worth.
Blaine

IMO, he may have some shamo but dont see it. He lacks wing carriage, vertical station and shamo face and head amongst other little things. To me he looks more Thai.

Regardless, he is healthy and happy!

Because there have been a few post of "Shamos" that looked less Shamo than other Orientals. Here are what Japanese Shamo should look like. If you go back in this thread (pg 186, or around there) Fowlman (Walt) also has excellent shamo.

IMO, this one looks Chu Shamo.

O Shamo:

I noticed that you have the Ga noi listed under your breeds, I am super interested in getting some but I am having trouble finding any. either hatching eggs or chicks because i simply can't afford an adult at this point in time. plus i figure i will start with some i hatch out myself before i spend big money on an older pair. anyone sell chicks or hatching eggs? sorry if this is the wrong place to ask i just got excited when i saw you owned some :)

IMO, he may have some shamo but dont see it. He lacks wing carriage, vertical station and shamo face and head amongst other little things. To me he looks more Thai.

Regardless, he is healthy and happy!

Because there have been a few post of "Shamos" that looked less Shamo than other Orientals. Here are what Japanese Shamo should look like. If you go back in this thread (pg 186, or around there) Fowlman (Walt) also has excellent shamo.

IMO, this one looks Chu Shamo.

O Shamo:

I knew the bird i had posted above was not a shamo was just trying to figure out what he was. Thanks for your input and for showing these pics I can see that even my shamo i posted earlier (he is also my avitar) needs to be improved on unless he changes alot with age he is still young under a year old. Thanks

Last edited:
Whitewolfloft- There is a lot of acceptable variation within something like a Shamo. The first bird you posted is not that bad , it's clearly a Shamo, or, mostly a Shamo, just a different strain/type that what Paulo posted. The second , questionable bird, probably has little if any Shamo blood in him. I will agree with that. The pics that Paulo posted are from a very famous strain that many people consider their ideal image of the breed. They are gorgeous birds, to be sure, but don't feel bad if your birds don't match them exactly. Few do in the USA right now. A lot of people still have an older, heavier built sort of Shamo.

gallo's comments are straight to the point. The 'older' Shamo seen here in the States which were imported from Japan right after WWII were not near as vertical as those of the Keeling line. The Earl Ashby Shamo that Manuel Reynolds had were extremely game birds that stood more around 45 to 50 degrees instead of the 90 degrees of those birds. Also, they were just as 'shamo' as those birds. It is the 'older' type Shamo that I am working on preserving before the newer Keeling birds take over and render them extinct. I do like the Keeling birds; please don't hear me say differently. It is just the 'older' type that I remember seeing as a boy and was completely taken by their looks and ability. Today, some will not even call those 'older' type Shamo as if they were somehow ashamed of what use to be. I am amazed at such a disregard for the past.

Old type Shamo also imported from Japan as are the Keeling birds. These are the Shamo that were used by American cockers in the day when it was still legal in the US for grading to Americans and in other venues. Picture taken at night.

Back
Top Bottom