Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Sorry Saladin But I have 2 types of true bamboo growing in my yard. Phyllostachys Bambusoides and Phyllostaachys Aureosulcata. The other 2 types are cane. Arundo Donax and Arundo Donax Variegata. I also have 8 types of banana trees and 6 types of palm trees growing in my yard. In Tennessee.
Mark
I also raise banana trees and various palm trees; of course, I'm in South Carolina: no cane and for sure no bamboo.

I think I made a mistake, and I need some advice. I have a mixed flock of some regular hatchery birds and some South American landraces (Quechua Olmec and Huastec). I bough a 6 month old Shamo hen at a show, because the seller told me that she "would be fine" with my birds. I had her in a separate but touching pen for the first day, then released them together. She is being picked on, and is clearly lowest on the pecking order right now. However, she is obviously physically capable of killing my birds. I am afraid that one day, when she is more comfortable, she would snap and her aggression would come out. My questions are these... if the flock maintains the peace for a week or two, is that enough to establish that she will work out fine with them, or will she always be a threat? Also, if I introduce chicks to the flock (I do this frequently and my current flock deals with it fine) will she be overly aggressive to the chicks? I realize I made a rash decision, there's no need to tell me this is why amateurs shouldn't have Shamo! I get it already!
More than likely everything will settle down and be fine. As to the chicks that is another matter entirely; what age of chicks are we talking about?

I add chicks as early as 4 to 5 Weeks. Current flock will show them who is boss for a day and then everyone is fine, nobody gets hurt.

The Shamo could or could not be a problem. If a problem what she will do is eat them.

However, regardless of the Shamo, I'd re-think doing this. You may be fine for a time but eventually you are going to have major management problems (read that sickness and death).

I think I made a mistake, and I need some advice.  I have a mixed flock of some regular hatchery birds and some South American landraces (Quechua Olmec and Huastec).  I bough a 6 month old Shamo hen at a show, because the seller told me that she "would be fine" with my birds.  I had her in a separate but touching pen for the first day, then released them together.  She is being picked on, and is clearly lowest on the pecking order right now.  However, she is obviously physically capable of killing my birds.  I am afraid that one day, when she is more comfortable, she would snap and her aggression would come out.  My questions are these...  if the flock maintains the peace for a week or two, is that enough to establish that she will work out fine with them, or will she always be a threat?  Also, if I introduce chicks to the flock (I do this frequently and my current flock deals with it fine) will she be overly aggressive to the chicks?  I realize I made a rash decision, there's no need to tell me this is why amateurs shouldn't have Shamo!  I get it already!
I have two araucanas in with my shamo cock and his two hens. They have all been raised together but I still worry sometimes as the shamo hens can be very mean to them. I feel like I need to get them out but hate to break them up. Also I had let one of the shamo hens hatch a couple of eggs and then I tried to put some new chicks under her...she killed one in a snap and was trying to kill the others before I could get them out. She never messed with her two chicks. Personally I would think she would always be a risk...especially with the chicks, but then there is always a risk with chickens of any kind. Mine have been together for a bit over a year now. (I'm sorry I don't think I was much help here!) Really though, there's no telling. You would have to decide is having her worth the risk.

The Shamo could or could not be a problem. If a problem what she will do is eat them.

However, regardless of the Shamo, I'd re-think doing this. You may be fine for a time but eventually you are going to have major management problems (read that sickness and death).
I understand your management point, and that death could result, and I am re-thinking this. However, how does "sickness" play into the picture?

Back
Top Bottom