Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

No disrespect intended, but that's something I would expect to hear from someone inexperienced with the time and dedication it takes to be a breeder of quality fowl. Everyone has their own views on what, and how they let blood off their yard, and I'm fine with that, but on the same note, the odds are when you try to save a buck by buying hatching eggs, don't be surprised if you don't get what you really want. When it comes to games, I'm here to tell you that finding some one selling quality stock via hatching eggs is extremely rare. BTW, there is no such thing as a "perfected" line with gamefowl IMO. And that my friends, is the rest of the story...lol!

Last edited:
No disrespect intended, but that's something I would expect to hear from someone inexperienced with the time and dedication it takes to be a breeder of quality fowl. Everyone has their own views on what, and how they let blood off their yard, and I'm fine with that, but on the same note, the odds are when you try to save a buck by buying hatching eggs, don't be surprised if you don't get what you really want. When it comes to games, I'm here to tell you that finding some one selling quality stock via hatching eggs is extremely rare. BTW, there is no such thing as a "perfected" line with gamefowl IMO. And that my friends, is the rest of the story...lol!

Why would you say there is on such thing as a perfected line

Perhaps Perfected is the wrong word (nothing is perfect) I should have said as good as they come, in there day they were the best.

You don't sound like a person that has raised birds for very long and maybe that is why you are posting some of these questions, statements etc. Nothing is perfect is true, but as good as they come is not happening all the time either. There are too many variables in these birds.

Personally I would rather plant a bird in the garden than sell it to just anyone. I have all kinds of reasons why I would not sell birds...some have been mentioned. I do sell birds. I have sold and given away birds to people on this site. If I feel a person will do a good job with them and I have given away many, many birds. Here is the bottom line....the shucked corn so to speak: They are my birds and I can do anything I like with them and I don't have to explain it in detail to BYC folk.

Walt

You don't sound like a person that has raised birds for very long and maybe that is why you are posting some of these questions, statements etc. Nothing is perfect is true, but as good as they come is not happening all the time either. There are too many variables in these birds.

Personally I would rather plant a bird in the garden than sell it to just anyone. I have all kinds of reasons why I would not sell birds...some have been mentioned. I do sell birds. I have sold and given away birds to people on this site. If I feel a person will do a good job with them and I have given away many, many birds. Here is the bottom line....the shucked corn so to speak: They are my birds and I can do anything I like with them and I don't have to explain it in detail to BYC folk.

Walt

Well Walt you are partly rite, I haven't raised Asil very long I haven't had gamefowl in 25 or 30 yr but when I was young I was a fair hand in the pit.
As for you not having to explain, I agree we were having a discussion If you don't want in that is OK with me.
I must admit I don't like these uppity Breeders labeling a person that sell eggs a bad breeder,
but I do understand it My wife Breeds and sells Mini Donkeys We sing the experience breeder song too, you have to when if you want to sell something for 3 times its worth.
I feel I am stepping on toes so I will leave youal Peace.

I have come to realize there are "peddlers" in everything from banking to chickens. There are guys on here, and other sites, that peddle plenty of Oriental game (OG) fowl, on known names, locations, etc. on this site and on the others! All you have to do is go to the classified section of any of the chicken sites and do a little research. The peddlers are there in plain view for all to see just do a little research.

But, to each his own, as I have found one mans trash is another mans treasure. Honestly, I have purchased my share of junk. But as I have become more aware of what good birds should look, feel and show like those lesser quality fowl have left my yard or continued the circle of life in some way, shape or form.
Personally, I view having my Oriental Game fowl as a privilege and an honor. I would not want have to peddle "X" number of them a month or year in order to have to keep them as I feel it directly reduces them to dollar signs. Furthermore, I rarely sell my fowl because I value and respect the hard work that went into maintaining, improving and preserving the breeds and lines I have by the former breeder.

Perfect birds, there are very few but even perfect birds or an excellent line of birds can be ruined rather quickly by improper breeding. In my definition, serious breeder are those breeders that cull more than they sell, eat or gift away and are heavily involved in one form of competition. On the contrary, peddlers do not participate in competitions are just trying to make a buck.

I can’t speak for others, but in conversations that I have had with serious breeders the last thing they want to see is their hard work and beautiful fowl being peddled or being exploited. I would have to agree, since they have put in the time, energy, dedication and money over and above the regular backyard breeder. In otherwords, if you don’t want to pay their price, it’s okay with them, because they know you don’t understand its true value.

I hope I did not offend. Just wanted to share my two cents….

Back
Top Bottom