Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

these guys can jump like Jack rabbits!!

Malay is a little of a stretch of imagination itself, some of the same thought processes that went into naming Malays "Malays" named Native Americans "Indians" and mistook North American native poultry for birds from "Turkey". Not that there aren't some people with darn nice Malay, but it's most likely that every Shamo, Thai, and large Asil that a Dutchman sold to an Englishman got stuck with the name "Malay".

The Saipans, according to some guesses I've heard from men I considered learned, are most likely Shamo in origin. By all accounts some lady in Louisiana had the best in the country and her line died out. Hatchery Saipan are a recreation of an almost fictional bird, using some oriental based birds.

Trimming wings on gamefowl would be considered heresy by some.

Yes 24 inches is the magic number, you don't want a big bird hopping down from any farther than that. If he can fly down out of a tree and utilize a ten foot landing strip and run to a stop he can come down out of a tree, but it's the hop down that can lame them up. It is good exercise for them to fly up and jump down, though, they will get fat.

Malay is a little of a stretch of imagination itself, some of the same thought processes that went into naming Malays "Malays" named Native Americans "Indians" and mistook North American native poultry for birds from "Turkey". Not that there aren't some people with darn nice Malay, but it's most likely that every Shamo, Thai, and large Asil that a Dutchman sold to an Englishman got stuck with the name "Malay".

The Saipans, according to some guesses I've heard from men I considered learned, are most likely Shamo in origin. By all accounts some lady in Louisiana had the best in the country and her line died out. Hatchery Saipan are a recreation of an almost fictional bird, using some oriental based birds.

Trimming wings on gamefowl would be considered heresy by some.

Yes 24 inches is the magic number, you don't want a big bird hopping down from any farther than that. If he can fly down out of a tree and utilize a ten foot landing strip and run to a stop he can come down out of a tree, but it's the hop down that can lame them up. It is good exercise for them to fly up and jump down, though, they will get fat.

I have seen no good reason to roost any of my breeds higher than 24 inches, even smaller birds. My chickens have very large areas to range and a couple of good dogs to keep critters away from them during the day and...some very severe dogs to protect the area at night. These night dogs would kill chickens (and my day-dog) given half a chance but the bad-boys aren't loosed until everything else is battened down and secure.

They treed a good sized black bear a few weeks ago, that had breached the high tensile electric fence. Big mistake. The beat did get in a few licks on a couple of the dogs but he decided to stay treed after coming down into that fire-pit once.

Nope, the Cornish has been a mutt since it's inception, They have asil in them, but a lot of other stuff, too. Shamos are most definitely not a version of Asil, version of oriental game, yes, but not the same as asil. The Shamo's name is a a Japanese adaptation of the word "Siam" the old word for Thailand, so it would seem that Shamo are a version of Thai game, though separated by many years of selective breeding.

I have heard some theories, and that is all they will ever be, that the Asil itself originated from birds from the Thailand/Vietnam area carried by traders to the middle east, selectively bred and spread back east into India. If you exaggerate the traits that all oriental games possess, you will end up with something very close to a Ga Noi Don. There is an Asil counterpart of the Ga Noi in the Vagnu that is very similar.

Back
Top Bottom