Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Pics
Quote:
TX weather is very unpredictable, some days warm, others hot,or humid and them BAM!!!
Rain or freezing weather. So sometimes it gets messy, last year we were hatching in winter, was nice and warm , must have been in the 70-80's then a freeze hit. Temp.dropped 50 degrees in a few hours maybe 2 hrs. Half my chicks froze wasn't home to turn on the lights

There are several pretty good "plug in" thermostats available, as well those that can be modified to work..................... useing a Reptitempt 500 has saved me some chicks in the past.

There are alot of reptile accesories that can be adapted to use with chicks etc.

Thanks for the compliments all...

Another important point is how easily someone can ruin the original generation of brood fowl they bring in. You get out of your birds what you put into them. Chick quality is very directly related to the broodstocks health.

Quote:
Drop-dead GORGEOUS cock!
th.gif
Is that a BBR or Wheaten?

droolin.gif
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
I ADORE BBR Orientals!!!

I am going to anger some but this is my take on lines, names etc. if I buy stock from name x and take them home and start mating them to my thinking f1 is now my line bred from name x fowl. Unless name x is in your yard telling you every cock to hen mating to make, the next generation is yourz for better or worse. To many times a new breeder raises sum chickens and if they turn out good they say they are the breeder with a big grin. But if they turnout dung, new breeder is pretty quick to say" why heck them are old name x birds"

old*cowboy :

I am going to anger some but this is my take on lines, names etc. if I buy stock from name x and take them home and start mating them to my thinking f1 is now my line bred from name x fowl. Unless name x is in your yard telling you every cock to hen mating to make, the next generation is yourz for better or worse. To many times a new breeder raises sum chickens and if they turn out good they say they are the breeder with a big grin. But if they turnout dung, new breeder is pretty quick to say" why heck them are old name x birds"

I think that most of us that are breeders would agree with you old c.

Named strains do have a couple of advantages though:
1. They generally show a particular type and color that is predictable.
2. They have a recorded past: even if the record is just memory or word of mouth.
3. For non-breeders it's a selling point.

Now, on number 3: More people have lost good money on this one than anything else because they were lied too. People love a good story (including me). But, there is often a difference between a good story and the truth.

#3 is why I tell people if you want 'Bugger Butt Asils' then go buy they from old Bugger Butt himself; not some jackleg at a swap!​

Looking for exhibition shamo and Asil.
Does anyone know how to get ahold of suzann chung ?
I also hears of a man in N Carolina I think his name was Carl Brantley?
If you have any info please pm me.

Thanks you,
Josh T,

Last edited:
Quote:
Suzann is a good friend. I will PM you her contact info..but you better drop the e off her first name if you want birds from her...lol I think she is just now looking at what she will have for sale. She does a very good job with her Orientals.
It is Carl Brantley.

Walt

Quote:
They are correct to the APA SOP and I show them, but I also have to separate them at about three weeks old or they will kill each other. The originals came from Suzann. She has the best that I have seen in person and I judge, so I see lots of birds. AOSB is the largest class of big birds here in the west....usually over 100 at the shows. Suzann also shows in the game bird shows here and there is usually one of those along with the regular ABA/APA shows. She is very hard to beat in either show.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom