Pearl Onyx ._.

spiderleader

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2023
Got 3 SR chicks and 1 pullet from TSC and I can't remember their names, besides BOTH included the term 'pearl'. As chicks they were just yellow w/ a couple black dots; now at 6m they're completley different. All were supposed to be white with black/gray flecks and slightly on the smaller side. The SR group, I knew as pearl onyx, supposedly would develop completely black skin/comb. What I thought is a "smokey pearl", would be identical, but with standard yellow leg/red comb. I was lucky enough all 4 are pullets, but it ended there.

Only 1 SR or 'pearl onyx' reflects the initial description ('brat'-bc she's far less skittishthan everyone else/I handle her more). I am more interested in knowing this breed as 1 has too many-too long toes, accompanied by a hip and/or knee issue and maybe someone has seen it before. I like the smaller sized birds and would like more to match brat, who I initially just called the smart one haha, but again need a bit more info.

The 4th girl is obv a leghornX, looks like a small-faulty attempt at a California white haha (not pictured). Of course these aren't true breeds and with their genetics I understand it's impossible to get 'chickens as described; but I have yet to see a pearl-anything like them. Still being the most common name Iv'e come across in search of their lineage https://www.hoovershatchery.com/smokeypearl.html , I'll just leave this as a referenec point.

Please don't hesitate to ask for any clarification or more info! Thank you :)

Attachments

• brat.jpg
    brat.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 120
  • trio.jpg
    trio.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 76
  • leggy.jpg
    leggy.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 77
The polydactylism must be from a Silkie ancestor because that must be the source of fibromelanism in these birds. The reason the toes look so funny is because she is duck toed meaning her hind toe is turned around to the front. That is probably why she is unbalanced. The ideal with five toed birds is the hind toes are straight back with the fifth toe sticking straight up above it, useless but harmless. In a non-pure breed, the lack of selection for this trait can lead to issues, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom