Pearl Onyx

Egg Finder

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2021
So, the initial chick buying frenzy has nearly ceased in our area. TSC now has an abundance of chicks and I could hear the little chirps and peeps as soon as I walked in the door. So a quick detour (just to look) and I could see the discount sign posted for the chicks they've had for too long. I've previously made it out without giving in, but they had discount Smokey Pearl pullets! The other bin of "premium" chicks were labeled as Pearl Onyx. My brooder is empty but still set up, so what's four more going to hurt? I've been wanting Smokey Pearls and I'd never heard of Pearl Onyx. Once home, I notice out of these 2 pairs, only one chick has the dark blackish skin. I know last year our TSC ordered from Privett Hatchery and the year before that, from Cackle. Neither hatchery has info on Pearl Onyx. I checked Hoover Hatchery also with no luck. Google also has brought me no info. Does anyone have info on what mix is used for the Pearl Onyx?

So, the initial chick buying frenzy has nearly ceased in our area. TSC now has an abundance of chicks and I could hear the little chirps and peeps as soon as I walked in the door. So a quick detour (just to look) and I could see the discount sign posted for the chicks they've had for too long. I've previously made it out without giving in, but they had discount Smokey Pearl pullets! The other bin of "premium" chicks were labeled as Pearl Onyx. My brooder is empty but still set up, so what's four more going to hurt? I've been wanting Smokey Pearls and I'd never heard of Pearl Onyx. Once home, I notice out of these 2 pairs, only one chick has the dark blackish skin. I know last year our TSC ordered from Privett Hatchery and the year before that, from Cackle. Neither hatchery has info on Pearl Onyx. I checked Hoover Hatchery also with no luck. Google also has brought me no info. Does anyone have info on what mix is used for the Pearl Onyx?
I picked up a Pearl onyx too, i am looking forward to hearing anything on her? One thread guessed it might be a cross of a Mystic Onyx and a Smokey Pearl,

I know this thread is a few months old, but I figure I'll jump in because of the chicken we got 2 days ago. Bear in mind, my wife and I are very casual chicken keepers, and we are not the absolute most knowledgeable about different breeds.

Someone here was thinning out her flock, and sold us a couple of hens. One is a black Easter Egger - and the other is apparently one of the Pearl Onyx chicks she picked up from TSC. She claimed both are 22 weeks old. The Easter Egger is a little smaller than our other adult hens, but the apparent Pearl Onyx is kind of tiny - perhaps half the size of the Easter Egger. She cheeps like a chick, instead of having the adult voice of the other hen, who's apparently the same age.

What's most interesting to me is that she looks just like a Silkie, with the fluffy white feathers, and the black face. This doesn't bother me one bit. I knew nothing about this apparent mystery breed before we got her, and she is just simply adorable. She's kind of filling my desire to one day own a Silkie.

We are currently working on introducing them to the other ends. We have them isolated in one end of the pen. The Easter Egger is an escape artist, and has gotten into the area with our others. The previous Easter Egger has chased her around and been a bit aggressive, and we're hoping that behavior stops. I'm really worried about the Pearl Onyx (?) getting introduced to the others. She's so small, that I hope she can hold her own. Maybe I should put both of the new ones in at once. Perhaps the existing Easter Egger won't be able to go after both of them at the same time. :)

I know this thread is a few months old, but I figure I'll jump in because of the chicken we got 2 days ago. Bear in mind, my wife and I are very casual chicken keepers, and we are not the absolute most knowledgeable about different breeds.

Someone here was thinning out her flock, and sold us a couple of hens. One is a black Easter Egger - and the other is apparently one of the Pearl Onyx chicks she picked up from TSC. She claimed both are 22 weeks old. The Easter Egger is a little smaller than our other adult hens, but the apparent Pearl Onyx is kind of tiny - perhaps half the size of the Easter Egger. She cheeps like a chick, instead of having the adult voice of the other hen, who's apparently the same age.

What's most interesting to me is that she looks just like a Silkie, with the fluffy white feathers, and the black face. This doesn't bother me one bit. I knew nothing about this apparent mystery breed before we got her, and she is just simply adorable. She's kind of filling my desire to one day own a Silkie.

We are currently working on introducing them to the other ends. We have them isolated in one end of the pen. The Easter Egger is an escape artist, and has gotten into the area with our others. The previous Easter Egger has chased her around and been a bit aggressive, and we're hoping that behavior stops. I'm really worried about the Pearl Onyx (?) getting introduced to the others. She's so small, that I hope she can hold her own. Maybe I should put both of the new ones in at once. Perhaps the existing Easter Egger won't be able to go after both of them at the same time. :)
Do you have photos?

Were they straightrun? My 3 were and 1 turned out as expected -the one on the right, I think is the pearl onyx? but NOT identical to the other 2 chicks I got with her. All of them from TSC and I thought they got most of their chicks from Hoover's...

Left/yellow one was sexed, but didn't get like any spots and I don't think I got a smokey pearl.
Would love to see photos of yours !

Attachments

• legbrat.jpg
    legbrat.jpg
    935.4 KB · Views: 206
I’m curious about the Pearl Onyx too. We picked ours out at TSC too. Last April we picked up two Pearl Onyx and two Rhode Island Red. We are brand new to the backyard chicken gig and have enjoyed watching them grow and their personalities evolve.

They have been a delight but haven’t been able to find anything online on the Pearl Onyx except here on this post.

We got our first egg this week from the one with large comb and waddles. I have no idea how to tell if they are ready except by the submission pose. Only one is showing that behavior.

Still waiting on the others three. Reds are not shown since this is about the Pearl Onyx pair.

IMG_8651.jpeg
IMG_8655.jpeg

I’m curious about the Pearl Onyx too. We picked ours out at TSC too. Last April we picked up two Pearl Onyx and two Rhode Island Red. We are brand new to the backyard chicken gig and have enjoyed watching them grow and their personalities evolve.

They have been a delight but haven’t been able to find anything online on the Pearl Onyx except here on this post.

We got our first egg this week from the one with large comb and waddles. I have no idea how to tell if they are ready except by the submission pose. Only one is showing that behavior.

Still waiting on the others three. Reds are not shown since this is about the Pearl Onyx pair.

View attachment 3637336View attachment 3637339
Knowing I haven't made up the name myself now, all I can still say is that they're silkieXs (which I could have told you just by confirming they were were straight run). Sorry I'm still lacking on info, but what do you mean by "I have no idea how to tell if they are ready except by the submission pose. Only one is showing that behavior"?

I only want to know more about them since I have a disabled one and would like the rest of my flock to trend toward them haha

These are known elsewhere, especially on FB, as "Zombie". There were better names being used in circulation, but apparently that one won popular consensus, lol.
They seem to be gaining in popularity.

They are usually a cross of White Leghorn with Ayam Cemani or another fibro breed.
The single copy of dominant white from the Leghorn, when crossed with a black chicken, makes for a "Paint" plumage color.
The legs are smooth, not feathered (which is a dominant trait), and there are no extra toes, so Silkie is not used in this cross.
Both Leghorns and Ayam Cemani are on the small side of large fowl.
Hopefully the laying genes of the Leghorn balance out the production levels. Ayam Cemani are very poor layers so it's possible for some of the progeny to be duds. Most likely is somewhere in between.

Back
Top Bottom