Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Couple more pics of our newest additions…..

This is our pair from PA. Looks like the cockerel may carry the Ginger Gene. What do you guys think?

This is our trio from MI. BBReds….

They look exactly like my pair from PA.
wink.png
Who did you get them from, pm me if you don't want to say on the forum. I don't think they are carrying the ginger gene, either Db or Co are dominant, so, just a version of wheaten with some red coming thru the black, and light females. I like them a lot for what it's worth.
thumbsup.gif

I see some of the same qualities. The PA KO's have been very personable. They will come the cage front for food and dont mine being picked up. The MI are a bit more stand-off-ish but once they are picked up they settle right down. I will say that that the PA KO's are a little taller, longer beak and tail than my MI KO's. I am looking forward to getting some KO's from an acquaince in CA in the spring (keeping my fingers crossed).

My PA Ko stag, updated pics.

As we are trying to figure out chick/egg orders and what breeds we need I came across some cubalayas. Duane Urch has BBR cubalayas and I am thinking about trying some, does anyone have experience with his birds? We have ordered other breeds in the past from him with good results, just unsure how his are. What should I know about cubalayas? We have always had sumatras so any big differences?

I don't know anyone offhand who had Urch Cubas, but, I would expect them to be ok at least, probably decent based on his reputation. We have a really nice thread on here about Cubas, check it out. Compared to Sumatras, I think they are better layers, and are calmer, more docile, at least in my experience, otherwise, very similar. Of course the tails are lower and more spread. If you have raised Sumatras well, not much to say other than they are typically a lot calmer. I've seen Ideals Cubalayas, and other than coming small, I personally like them. The Sandhill ones are different lines than the Ideal, and seem larger, with more variabilty in type, but, both have their own strong points. It is harder to find well sized Cubalayas compared to Sumatras, most tend to be smaller than standard. I see a lot of well sized or even overly large Sumatras, overall Sumatras have more breeders and are more refined for showing and larger than Cubas, although they should not be larger. The Cubas are in more need of dedicated breeders. Most shows here have 5-10 Sumatras entered for every 1 Cubalaya.

Back
Top Bottom