Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I have a 4 month+ trio of reza style asil. Should be around 5 lbs. I have hogs also so I have lots of 14%milled hog grower. By milled I mean just course ground grains plus supplement. I've been soaking this in hot water and feeding it along with 16% layer pellets. I feed both seperate and they seem to eat about the same amount of each. I will have them in a day range once things green up. For now I gave them a shovel of grass sod to pick through and have oyster shell and DE free feed. My questions are: Am I missing anything in their diet? Will the extra calcium in the layer crumbles hurt my stag? And when should I expect them to start laying. I think I might have missed out until fall. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I will get some pics up as soon as I can. Thanks Blaine

Looks like you're doing everything right, Blaine. Hard to tell about the onset of laying as Asils vary a lot in the amount of eggs they lay. Some will only give you less than a dozen a year and some will lay quite well between broods. Most of mine begin laying by 6 months.........Pop

Haven't measured him yet. He's still young and small though, but I expect him to reach at least 29 inches, his father (correct me if I remember wrong Ish) was 30-31 inches.

12 eggs a year from Aseel? Am I hearing that right? Even Malgache are said to be around 30-40. 12 is really, really sad. What about first year pullets?

Haven't measured him yet. He's still young and small though, but I expect him to reach at least 29 inches, his father (correct me if I remember wrong Ish) was 30-31 inches.

12 eggs a year from Aseel? Am I hearing that right? Even Malgache are said to be around 30-40. 12 is really, really sad. What about first year pullets?

Why do they lay so poorly? Broody all year?

Nate

They're not bred to be egg layers, plus the broodiness doesn't help (although some breeds aren't THAT broody compared to others) but mainly it's the fact that they weren't bred to lay eggs all year, and many breeds/lines are really old, so with so many years focused on strength, athleticism, behavior, etc - There's less and less room for production.

All I know is, any Shamos I've known are pretty decent first years - An egg every other day. Thais are the same, that I've known of. (one strain) 2-3 year hens dwindle down a tad but not too badly. You still get good bundles of eggs in the boxes from a flock of about 12 hens.

A flock of 12 O Shamos would eat a lot! I am thinking about getting so KO for better feed ratios but its still up in the air right now. I am getting into the Imported breeds and they are a little pricey. I just got a pair of Chocolate Orps and I'm working on some Jubilees also. I really want some KO!

Nate

Does anybody have any good idea how to make a week old chicks stop fighting.
They weren't hatch with a hen to rule them and they are in huge fish tank them the only thing i have thought about is turning they light off

Quote:

Not all Asil are as bad surely Ilia, just depends on bloodlines. I know one guy that had a strain of Brazilians, said he would only get about 8 eggs a year. When I got my Shamo I was told they would probably only lay a dozen or two of eggs per year if I remember correctly.. But the younger hen (she's about two-three) laid I'm sure at least 40 eggs or more and that is counting her trying to set three or four times.

The old hen was close I believe, but of course not as great of a layer due to age. I'd have Shamo running out of my ears probably, but never could get the environment to work correctly with me (heat/incubator/storms). This year I am planning to hen-hatch most of the chicks, or possibly do a 50/50.

God bless,
Daniel.

You may notice that I said "some Asils". Some will also give many more eggs, but like Daniel said, it depends on the bloodline. Illia, when Dutch settlers took over Madagascar they just about ruined the Malgache by infusing egg laying blood into the native fighting birds. Their may not be any pure Malgache left on the planet.

Why do they lay so poorly? Broody all year?

Nate

Asils are bred for fighting and only for fighting, until recently when somebody decided they should show them. As a fighting bird that has been bred for 3-5 thousand years (depending on which articles and/or manuscripts you believe), they are the most perfect fighting machine ever developed in the chicken world. every aspect of their body and mental make up is focused on that goal. That leaves very little room for emphisis on egg laying. In fact, every egg from an Asil is like gold and shame on the person who eats them. Yes Nate, they are very broody, but often they just don't lay for a month. And, it's not unusual for a hen to lay 2 or 3 eggs and then set.

They're not bred to be egg layers, plus the broodiness doesn't help (although some breeds aren't THAT broody compared to others) but mainly it's the fact that they weren't bred to lay eggs all year, and many breeds/lines are really old, so with so many years focused on strength, athleticism, behavior, etc - There's less and less room for production.

All I know is, any Shamos I've known are pretty decent first years - An egg every other day. Thais are the same, that I've known of. (one strain) 2-3 year hens dwindle down a tad but not too badly. You still get good bundles of eggs in the boxes from a flock of about 12 hens.

Good explaination, Illia.

Does anybody have any good idea how to make a week old chicks stop fighting.
They weren't hatch with a hen to rule them and they are in huge fish tank them the only thing i have thought about is turning they light off
Seperate the aggressors as they appear. If the light thing works, that may be the only way, but they probably will chill. Another brooder or 2, perhaps. If you aren't prepared for their special feature, you might consider another breed......Pop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom