Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

lol Reminds me of how many people out there don't realize it requires a certain breed to even be a suspicious person.

My digital scale I believe goes to 40 lbs, maybe it's 20, but yea when I got it I just had to weigh everyone. Didn't get to that point but weighed most of the more important birds. Man was it an eye-opener. A couple of my more hopefuls were much lighter than I thought. And thankfully my entire Araucana flock is perfect in weight.

Didn't get to weigh any Shamos though, as I got the scale after my last pair went and even now, my new arrivals are still too shy for me to bother. Yesterday I was hauling around lumber, passing their coop and through their run on a consistent basis and out of the blue they freak, and try all their best to avoid me in the most frightened manner, wouldn't let me within 30 feet of them, don't know what got into them. . . They calmed after about half an hour though and resorted to the normal "5 feet and we're good" rule.

Our relationship is building very, very slowly. The pullets let me near them if they know I'm doing something important (refill their water, refill or check their feeder) but otherwise they're the more skittish ones, the stag is also pretty shy but not as bad. Today I went on ahead and tried picking him up. When I did, it just as usual pleased me to feel how much of a solid brick he was. I'm quite used to the rest of my breeds which are more "fluffy" type and narrow out in the rear, while this guy literally is like a brick with long legs - Sharp cut edges, dense, wide both in front and back. I can't wait to see how big he'll mature to be.

Hey Ish, check out that tail. Nice and low so far.
smile.png

Hi Guy! Thank you :) I took 17 birds: 4 bantam asil & 13 bantam shamo. They were the only bantam orientals in the show. I had to scratch 3 of the birds I would have taken. 2 for feather condition & 1 up and vanished from my yard. I hope to have more of a balanced entry for the fall shows. Quite a few folk took a gander at them, and I tried to answer any questions as best I could to garner intrest in them. Some folk have never seen these birds and did not know they existed.
Quote:

Congrates tara, good looking fowl. Where there lots of bantam asils shown? I am getting several hatched, hope to have some to show next fall.

Right but I'm sorry, in the more southern states having even a scale that looks like the old, you know, types - There's gonna be someone questioning you. These days just simply having a bunch of roosters makes you a target. Especially shipping them to other countries.

I personally use a little hand-held digital hanging scale. Works great, and is quite accurate. The only downside is that it is the hanging type, so, the bird has to go through the not-so-fun experience of being stuffed into a canvas bag while being weighed.

Hey Illia, I use a hanging digitat scale (I think a fishing scale) but made a sling to put the fowl in. I have a few difernt sizes of slings and once they are in they don't mind it at all. I keep a record of weight for every critter here people included.

All this talk of scales. I understand sorta where most of the talk is coming from, but this is how I look at scales. First I have been all over the US to shows large and small. I aint never seen a judge pull out a set of scales to weigh a chicken at a chicken show yet. I guess what I am saying is after a person handles lots of birds, he or she should have a feel for weight. Sure it aint going to be down to the ounce, but I would bet an experianced handler could get pretty darn close most every time.

Hmmm, I certainly didn't mean to start anything by asking how much a bantam Asil weighs. The weight of most birds is important to me, for some unknown reason. Lemme tell ya a story. Years ago, I gave a trio of Black Rampuri Asils to the president of the PBCPFA (Palm Beach County Poultry Fanciers Assn.). The club sponsores the show at the South FL Fair each year. She (the pres.) took the Asils to the show. The remark from the judge about them was "they are very light for Asils". The cock was 5 lbs and the hens around 3. Just about right for fowl of that type. They really weren't show types, but pit bred and quite excellent examples for their type. Now I don't show my fowl and here's the reason. I was admiring the fowl at a large Florida show when I happened upon 3 pens that had sick birds in them. I alerted an attendant and it was sluffed off. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable judjes and more concerned attendants at most shows, but I chose to practice bio security by keeping my birds away from any hazards like those. I don' enter my yard after being exposed to any other fowl without changing clothes and shoes. That's just me and I don't knock anyone who shows their birds. In fact, I enjoy shows, but just not with my fowl. Weight is important to me and I doubt there are many judges that can weigh an oriental without a scale. Anyway, don't mean to offend anyone with my rant. I just get a little carried away when that stuff crosses my mind............Pop

Hmmm, I certainly didn't mean to start anything by asking how much a bantam Asil weighs. The weight of most birds is important to me, for some unknown reason. Lemme tell ya a story. Years ago, I gave a trio of Black Rampuri Asils to the president of the PBCPFA (Palm Beach County Poultry Fanciers Assn.). The club sponsores the show at the South FL Fair each year. She (the pres.) took the Asils to the show. The remark from the judge about them was "they are very light for Asils". The cock was 5 lbs and the hens around 3. Just about right for fowl of that type. They really weren't show types, but pit bred and quite excellent examples for their type. Now I don't show my fowl and here's the reason. I was admiring the fowl at a large Florida show when I happened upon 3 pens that had sick birds in them. I alerted an attendant and it was sluffed off. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable judjes and more concerned attendants at most shows, but I chose to practice bio security by keeping my birds away from any hazards like those. I don' enter my yard after being exposed to any other fowl without changing clothes and shoes. That's just me and I don't knock anyone who shows their birds. In fact, I enjoy shows, but just not with my fowl. Weight is important to me and I doubt there are many judges that can weigh an oriental without a scale. Anyway, don't mean to offend anyone with my rant. I just get a little carried away when that stuff crosses my mind............Pop

I agree with just about everything you said Pop. Especialy the part about judges not being able to weigh a bird by feel. And there lies a problem. I read on a differant forum than this one awhile back where asils that weighed 2 and 3 pounds more than the standard called for were doing the winning. This says one of two things, and neither is right. First it says judges are judging to their own liking without regard to the standard, or they are like you say, not able to weigh an asil without a scale. I know there is an age old debate about asils being bred for show and away from what they were intended. Thats neither here nor there to me, I say breed them how you want them, BUT if you are going to show them, or judge them, then by dang use the standard. That way everyone is on the same page. I also agree with you on the bio security. I dont allow many people on my yard, that have birds themselves unless it is someone I know very well and have seen their yard. Too much chance of getting something that wont wash off on the fowl. I do bring in fowl from time to time, but it always gets the quarenteen pen for awhile before going further. YFIS Guy

I agree on the feeling out the weight yourself part, but I got one for the fact that I'm not that experienced, so having an accurate scale to hone me up does help. And, yeah, one won't always be accurate and correct in an experienced guess.

Good grief, Ish. You keep a record of ALL those critters? I'm impressed........Pop

Hey Pop, matter of fact today is the day to weigh, worm and vaccinate those goat kids you saw running round the pasture. While I do agree that an experienced hand can give you more than just weight, but #'s on a page is a more transferable method for me. I might note how the bird, goat, dog felt in hand but having an exact weight is my preference. My back ground is in small animal veterinary medicine and we weigh everything.

Ish

I would like a few goats but the wife doesn't think we need anymore animals. She said we have to many chickens and them I told her I am getting ready to hatch quite a few! We just got married the beginning of November and she never realized how many chickens and hogs we would have! I currently have about 25 full size birds(getting 6 more KO Shamo tomorrow) so 31, 11 12 week olds, about 25 5 week olds, 40 3 week olds, 25 2 week olds, 40 day old to week olds, and an incubator full of eggs. She is going crazy I think but she is starting to like chickens and she doesn't mind them now. We also have 2 hogs and about 10.000 mealworms here also. Our little farm keeps growing!

Nate

Back
Top Bottom