Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Show Asils should be: C 5.5#, H 4#, K 4.5# and P 3#. Most judges are not familiar with Asils and haven't read the SOP after they get their license, so they perceive them as small. Scales are never used at a show and some judges have no idea what 5 lbs feels in their hand. A 6# Asil male next to a Shamo looks pretty small.

The reason you don't see scales at a show is that if they weigh one, they have to weigh them all....and there is just not enough time. There have been birds weighed unofficially after the showroom is locked to exhibitors with some very surprising results. Most judges have handled enough birds that they have an idea what birds weigh in their hand. They just don't remember that show Asils are fairly small birds. When I show my Asils I will show a bigger bird unless I know that the judge knows Asils.

Here in Calif a judge better know the Oriental birds cuz here it is going to be the largest of the large fowl classes (100+ in the big Cali shows). When we have a judge from the east they are going to pick a Sumatra because that is all they know.

Walt

lol Isn't that the truth. It is sad but true, there's little knowledge in the showroom except in the game-rich regions, of gamefowl. And no offense meant to the artists out there but the illustrations also just don't portray the gamefowl too well. I don't want to come off as rude saying that, I just notice it, and in a way it does make sense though because most exhibition out there are for normal dual purpose, layer, or simply exhibition type breeds. They don't need to have a certain presence, behavior, muscle tone, shank shape or strength, etc.

Speaking of which, Walt, I'm curious, has there been any attempt or discussion on LF American Games being accepted to the APA? I see American Game Bantams have come through some while ago, but I'm curious as to the LF birds. I understand the huge variety of them considering their different lines and characteristics for each, just curious if a group of people have tried putting out a general image of American Games as a breed.

Back
Top Bottom