Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I am relieved to read this. My o shamo nipped me in the back of the knee today. I just had a horrible rooster issue with a non-game roo. I think he was displeased at me moving into the pen and taking the treats with me instead of dumping some outside for his girls.
sharon
Hello Sharon, was it the shamo stag/ cock from me? Did he flog you or wing dance? I normally will remove the cocks from the pens if I need to grab the hens just to avoid situations. How ever aggressive behavior is not to be tolerated but at the same time should not be unknowingly propagated. Try not to swat at them or retaliate, I would pull him out put him in a drop pen for a bit them pick him up again. If he is still acting funny and it's nice out some body might just get a bath. I have not known any of those Shamos to be man fighters?

Ish

Hello Sharon, was it the shamo stag/ cock from me? Did he flog you or wing dance? I normally will remove the cocks from the pens if I need to grab the hens just to avoid situations. How ever aggressive behavior is not to be tolerated but at the same time should not be unknowingly propagated. Try not to swat at them or retaliate, I would pull him out put him in a drop pen for a bit them pick him up again. If he is still acting funny and it's nice out some body might just get a bath. I have not known any of those Shamos to be man fighters?

Ish

Hi Ish,
Yes it's him. He didn't flog me nor strut any. I think it was more to get my attention maybe? I didn't do anything but yelp and tell him no. Wasn't sure what I should do. I don't feel he is aggressive though. I think he was trying to tell me to drop some feed on the ground outside the pen for him to call his hens over to. I was hurried and was moving on inside. He did it once before when I forgot to hold the feed cup down for the hen to pick some out of before I took it inside.
sharon

Hi Ish,
Yes it's him. He didn't flog me nor strut any. I think it was more to get my attention maybe? I didn't do anything but yelp and tell him no. Wasn't sure what I should do. I don't feel he is aggressive though. I think he was trying to tell me to drop some feed on the ground outside the pen for him to call his hens over to. I was hurried and was moving on inside. He did it once before when I forgot to hold the feed cup down for the hen to pick some out of before I took it inside.
sharon
My Shamo used to nip at me some for feed to get my attention when younger, they weren't necessarily hard bites (they feel like it, but when compared to really being bit by one they obviously were not out of aggression). He still will peck the feed bucket if I let him out while I'm walking around with it. Not all do it, but he does. I usually just set the feed bucket down afterwards and pick him up, or just put him up in his pen before I ever bring the feed around.

Well I have raised them as a teen with my gramps.... he had OE fighter from mexico..... he hated that I "cared" for the small flock that he gave me.... he would just let his birds run free and I wanted my birds to be my pets! Lol needless to say he learned my pet birds were far better than his free range neglected birds! That ****** him off so he killed them while I was at work. Haven't had chickens since then till now.....almost 15 years! Glad to be back!

Last edited:
Well I have raised them as a teen with my gramps.... he had OE fighter from mexico..... he hated that I "cared" for the small flock that he gave me.... he would just let his birds run free and I wanted my birds to be my pets! Lol needless to say he learned my pet birds were far better than his free range neglected birds! That ****** him off so he killed them while I was at work. Haven't had chickens since then till now.....almost 15 years! Glad to be back!

I just wanted to put that out there. You can't let Oriental breeds free range unless they are the only ones out there or are mated. Even then you may have a lethal fight. Real Shamo's will kill each other in a flock. Mine start fighting about about 3-4 weeks and have to be seperated from then on. I'm just letting you know that they are different from the run of the mill chicken and they are certainly not a flock chicken. They are really cool birds, but they are quite different from the average chicken.
........and don't name them.

Walt

Oh I don't want a flock of shamos! Just a pair! Lol and they would have their own coop I know how game birds are when it comes to fighting and I don't want to have to wake up to my kids skreemin that their chicken was killed by my roo! They have gone thru that already! Lol big ole dumb dog! And y not name them?

Oh I don't want a flock of shamos! Just a pair! Lol and they would have their own coop I know how game birds are when it comes to fighting and I don't want to have to wake up to my kids skreemin that their chicken was killed by my roo! They have gone thru that already! Lol big ole dumb dog! And y not name them?

If you have a pair they will reproduce. I just want you to know what to expect. If you get them from a hatchery the males might not fight each other, but if you get the real thing they will. I have to be careful about what female I use and how I introduce them to the male. This is just to make sure you know what you are getting into.......that's all. Go for it!
If you have to ask why not name them you won't understand.

Walt

You can't eat the ones with names.

I have had chickens for over 10 years, and had them when I was growing up.
I got a few Shamos last year, and boy am I learning about them now!
I had one stag almost kill my Marans roo. Twice.
That is when I realized they are definately not for me.
I have rehomed almost all of them, and my dominant roo, Dragon, is the most people friendly bird out there.
But he MUST be the only roo, or he will kill the others. JMO

Back
Top Bottom