Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Ameracaunacrazy, 3# is within the British Standard for Reza hens . If I were you I would do an online search , there are other sites such as Feathersite with info on Asil. Some of the sites are considered competing sites and we are not allowed to pass that info on. I would be more inclined to breed her to a correct type Asil if breeding is what you have in mind. Asil should "feel" very heavy, solid, compared to overall size. I wish I could be of more help , but as I said I am no expert . I am surprised that the Asil breeders on here have not jumped in. GL

It doesn't take anywhere three years before orientals are physically able to breed, or start laying, the three years is so u know exactly what u are breeding, quality wise. As with the larger breeds, it can take three years for them to hit their physical peak.

True but don't expect Orientals to physically breed until they are at least a year old. Most of my stags don't even begin crowing until they are a year old. They are very slow in maturing. Pullets will begin to lay at around 8-9 months but they generally don't have the maturity at that age to set and hatch eggs. They are inclined to abandon their eggs and chicks. I have a pair of Malgache that will be two years old next month and have yet to hatch a single chick from them. He's too aggressive with her and she won't take any crap from him. They are separated for now. With regular chickens, penning a cock and hen together will result in fertile eggs and chicks. It's a given thing. Not so with Orientals.

Redcatcher, i will have to disagree with u. I have a 6-7 month old Brazilian stag that started crowing last week, and one of his hatch mates has started grabbing pullets, trying to top them. They aren't breeding yet, but the "At least a year" isn't really that accurate, in my experience. I had a 9 month old braz/asil stag last year topping a hen, and her eggs proved to be fertile. Wasn't a mating I planned or kept, but I incubated them out of curiosity. My Brazilians are average sized, cock out at 7-7.5. Different lines do mature differently, that could account for some of the variance.

Last edited:
I have one Asil hen with a chick, she is beginning to molt, I think. The other lost her clutch and is laying again. She is in a 4'x4' dome hut now and has 3 eggs. I'm putting a bucket or milk crate in there for her this afternoon. We've been in the 90's all week and expecting the same, is there anything I should do with these eggs, or will they be ok til she decides to set? Last time she set 9 I think. I'd have to look it up for sure. She has a tarp for shade, still allowing plenty of airflow. Should I move her to a more shaded area of the yard? Would a milk crate be better than a white bucket for heat? Sorry for so many questions, and I know it is late to try and raise chicks, but I want to give them a shot. Thanks Blaine

Quote:
I have to disagree. I'm new to orientals, but got a trio in Feb. The cock was topping the pullets and they hatched 80% of their first eggs laid, and this was at 7 months, maybe only 6. These are reza Asil so they don't compare with larger Shamo's ect. But saying Orientals can't physically breed until a year old is false. Not trying to start a fight, I'm new to these awesome birds and just sharing my experience. Blaine

I have to disagree. I'm new to orientals, but got a trio in Feb. The cock was topping the pullets and they hatched 80% of their first eggs laid, and this was at 7 months, maybe only 6. These are reza Asil so they don't compare with larger Shamo's ect. But saying Orientals can't physically breed until a year old is false. Not trying to start a fight, I'm new to these awesome birds and just sharing my experience. Blaine

I didn't say that they couldn't breed, I said don't expect them to. IF they do, consider it a bonus. If someone new to Orientals buys birds or eggs expecting them to produce by the time they are a year old, they may be in for a disappointment. They just aren't prolific.

Last edited:
Orientals on the whole, speaking generally, WILL give you chicks in their first year if you allow them to. They aren't prolific layers, but when they lay, they set, and they hatch, and they brood well. There are always exceptions to anything, but as a rule, quality fowl will do this regularly. There is a reason you wait though, but that can't be discussed on this forum. BTW, if you have a hen that a cock can't fully submit, you need a better cock, or possibly to change your husbandry methods, but that comes back to discussions that can't be done here.

Ameracaunacrazy, as far as your bird goes, looks fairly typical of hyderabad in form from what I can see, but if you don't know the history of your bird, you will never know, no matter what anyone tells you. As others have said, it falls in the range of Reza.

I never breed any until they reach two years old. Why raise chicks from something you may cull at maturity? A cull is still a cull no matter what the breeders name is or what it cost. Tom

TomNy, the question wasn't if you should, it's whether they can physically breed or not at a young age. Everyone has their own requirements and standards they breed by. To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom