Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I have been told she was a cobra asil and i have been told she is a viper asil. So which is she lol? And i know that the picture isn't the best becasue she is not standing as straight as i would like her to be she is squatting down. lol
Hi Ameracaunacrazy ! I thought someone on this thread would be able to help you. Here are some thoughts . One , Viper and Cobra are lines of the same breed, Asil. The Asil is also divided by size , and region of origin To my unprofessional eye your hen looks kind of fine boned and taller than most of the Asil hens I have seen. Do you know how much she weighs? You mentioned in your other post that she is rough on males, this is not unusual. I hope that I have been of some help. I feel certain that some of the experts on here, who know a lot more than I, will correct my statements if I am in error, they usually do.

Their first full feather will be at nearly a year old, and the second the next year, and the third the year after that.

yea i wanted to jump into shamos and asils but then someone gave me some good advise! just like it was stated in the begining.... do your homework! im still nowhere near making a decision on which breed to go with but i am looking at all breeds and breeders of good fowl! i dont want to get a set of eggs or chicks and not know exactly what i am getting myself into! the more i know about the breed the better! still about 2-3yrs from taking the plunge into oriental games! love lookin at the pics and lovin the knowledge that is shared here even more!

game, hope your broody is doin good! a dog got to my meaties the other day and put a few holes in it.but the poor thing didnt make it...

Whew! that's a long time to wait, I guess the three years was right. I guess that's the soonest you can breed them? Anyway, from what I've been reading about orientals I think it's worth it to get to experience them. Are cubalayas orientals? And I would only be getting a pair of shamo, now it would be from that breeder here in TN, so I don't think they would cause to much trouble in there little pen off to the side.
And chicklettesarge, I'm sure you could share with me some insightful words, since it sound like you've really done some researching. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

I have an asil hen that was setting a nest under a cedar tree. Yesterday the neighbors dog (great pyrenees) snuck in, grabbed her, plucked her entire back and tail bald, put several good sized holes in her, scraped her up bad, and made it about a hundred yards with her. I came out of the house just in time, heard her squawking, and ran the dog til he dropped her. Ten minutes later, she was back on her eggs, bald and bloody. Now THAT is broody.

I have an asil hen that was setting a nest under a cedar tree. Yesterday the neighbors dog (great pyrenees) snuck in, grabbed her, plucked her entire back and tail bald, put several good sized holes in her, scraped her up bad, and made it about a hundred yards with her. I came out of the house just in time, heard her squawking, and ran the dog til he dropped her. Ten minutes later, she was back on her eggs, bald and bloody. Now THAT is

GG~

I hope the hen is doing well. You probably already did this with her but if you have not.... spray her wounds with BlueKote. I was turned on to it by a few local AG guys that spray it on ALL the birds wounds...I was amazed at that practice and the fact that most of the birds survived. Good luck with her

Last edited:
Hi Ameracaunacrazy !  I thought someone on this thread would be able to help you. Here are  some thoughts . One  , Viper and Cobra are lines of the same breed, Asil. The Asil is also divided by size , and region of origin  To my unprofessional eye your hen looks kind of fine boned and taller than most of the Asil hens I have seen. Do you know how much she weighs? You mentioned in your other post that she is rough on males, this is not unusual.  I hope that I have been of some help. I feel certain that some of the experts on here, who know a lot more than I, will correct my statements if I am in error, they usually do.

She is 3 pounds.

Last edited:
Are cubalayas considered orientals? And does it really take large orientals three years before you can breed them? or do they start laying before then but you want to wait so that you can see what your really working with?

Thanks,

It doesn't take anywhere three years before orientals are physically able to breed, or start laying, the three years is so u know exactly what u are breeding, quality wise. As with the larger breeds, it can take three years for them to hit their physical peak.

Last edited:
Hopefully this thread continues for that long! Lol. By the time this years chicks are chosen as breeding pairs and trios, i will FINALLY, hopefully, be ready to raise a set of orientals! So this years hatches will be the future sires and dams of my 1st oriental game fowl!
This is my goal!

Back
Top Bottom