Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Some of my friends used a good size wheel where the roosters goes inside ,where they run as much as they want for a day.
This wheels has the same dynamic of a bicycle from wheel it moves when the rooster moves and it tops when the roosters stops.
They took this idea from youtube .
after a day of running they go back to the cord for two days or three sometimes even a week all depends.
I usually hand exercise them on my days off
I also put them in a 4' by 5' scratching pan on green grass when i have grass, right now all the grass is dry **** :O
You can add weights on each legs but keep in mind how much weight is right for beginners
I don't show them but I like to move them to keep them fit.
Is not that much work since I only have few birds.
this is quality time when I spend time with my birds. Lol

I'm thinking about maybe running a pair of shamo with my free-ranging layer flock, they should stay seperated right? and once my layer roo (4 mo. old) gets beat up they'll leave each other alone? how do these look? their also young http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/3189233191.html
Thanks,

If they are real Shamo, the other males will be killed...not beat up. The female will take care of the rest on the flock....they will be dead too. You can't turn these birds out like some kind of backyard chicken. Shamo's are not a beginner bird.

Walt

If they are real Shamo, the other males will be killed...not beat up. The female will take care of the rest on the flock....they will be dead too. You can't turn these birds out like some kind of backyard chicken. Shamo's are not a beginner bird.

Walt
They are definitely not flock birds. I have one o shamo cock who is in with two hens and three araucana hens. They have been together from the start but I am thinking that I am beginning to have a problem with one of the hens beginning to pick on the araucanas...I may have to pull them out. My cock will hunt other roosters down if he gets out and he does not stop attacking....even when the other tries to give up and back down. The shamos do not have an off button.

My experience with the Jim Zook Shamos are the cocks will be fine with anything that doesn't show aggression towards them in large areas; its not until they are confined to a pen that they really turn aggressive. So if the heritage birds avoided the Shamo they might live, but the issue is too. These are large birds, they're very muscular and though they may not chase an individual down usually if one gets close over feed or something don't be surprised if they start hitting that individual (even yard fowl will do this). That can result in a broken neck, back, head trauma, etc. Things like that don't usually happen with heritage fowl, but it is a possibility with Shamo and other gamefowl in general (even some American Gamefowl, I've heard of some breaking birds backs). So even if normally they are good friends, a "accident" can happen.

There are Shamo strains that are more aggressive than the Jim Zook no doubt, but if you were looking for some that may possibly work you may try the Zook's or even hatchery stock (but don't expect the hatchery stuff to look much like Shamo). In my experience honestly the hens are more aggressive than the cocks in not being able to tolerate other birds, they'll kill everything; roosters, stags, pullets, hens. At least the cocks were only worried about mature roosters.

God bless,
Daniel.

I got 3 O Shamo from pride&joy about 3 months ago I have had gamefowl for about 5 years and shamo are definately not a beginner bird my stag killed 2 RIR roosters at the same time I got home and it was to late and he tried to beat up my Sumatra roo but my sumatra was to tough for him but the real non beginner thing are the hens they pick on anything but O Shamo and sumatras are both game and they are my favorite birds in the world

I got 3 O Shamo from pride&joy about 3 months ago I have had gamefowl for about 5 years and shamo are definately not a beginner bird my stag killed 2 RIR roosters at the same time I got home and it was to late and he tried to beat up my Sumatra roo but my sumatra was to tough for him but the real non beginner thing are the hens they pick on anything but O Shamo and sumatras are both game and they are my favorite birds in the world
Sumatras aren't game, they used to be and there are rumors of some in South America that still are. But the rest are all show stock. I am assuming that when you say the Sumatra was too tough for the Shamo the Sumatra is larger/has more age on him? Otherwise the Sumatra shouldn't have a chance unless he just frightened him. I have realized the American fowl will scare the Shamo (Jim Zook's blood isn't game in my opinion) for some reason; I had a couple get too close to the cocks on tie when free ranging before I got there to stop it and they started running (one cock was well over the age of maturity so he shouldn't have ran if he was game) I assume only because the American cocks were so fast it terrified them versus a Oriental or rhode Island Red that would have stood toe to toe since many people have told me the Jim Zook blood is game but they raised only Orientals. The same would happen with the Sumatra cock.

God bless,
Daniel.

Sumatras aren't game, they used to be and there are rumors of some in South America that still are. But the rest are all show stock. I am assuming that when you say the Sumatra was too tough for the Shamo the Sumatra is larger/has more age on him? Otherwise the Sumatra shouldn't have a chance unless he just frightened him. I have realized the American fowl will scare the Shamo (Jim Zook's blood isn't game in my opinion) for some reason; I had a couple get too close to the cocks on tie when free ranging before I got there to stop it and they started running (one cock was well over the age of maturity so he shouldn't have ran if he was game) I assume only because the American cocks were so fast it terrified them versus a Oriental or rhode Island Red that would have stood toe to toe since many people have told me the Jim Zook blood is game but they raised only Orientals. The same would happen with the Sumatra cock.

God bless,
Daniel.
Yea the Sumatra is older and has his triple spurs on each foot grown in and my shamo only has knubs for know but the sumatra got a spur in the shamos theigh and the shamo got pretty scared after that. and I consider Sumatra game because of there lower lungs like american game and there fighting ability and attitude because I have seen them get into fights and they have swift movment and agility just like an american.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yea the Sumatra is older and has his triple spurs on each foot grown in and my shamo only has knubs for know but the sumatra got a spur in the shamos theigh and the shamo got pretty scared after that. and I consider Sumatra game because of there lower lungs like american game and there fighting ability and attitude because I have seen them get into fights and they have swift movment and agility just like an american.

Thanks

You have a different kind of Shamo than I have. These guys here don't back up. Sumatras like to go after people, but they are not game. I have one that thought he was a bad boy, but when I put him in with some half breed chickens I have here, he ended up standing in the middle of a 6' wading pool to stay away from them.
I should take some pictures of him. It is pretty funny, cuz he stands dead center in this pool most of the day.

Walt

Thanks

Not to argue really, but gameness is more than how a cock moves, their structure, or anything else. Gameness itself is something that is in-coded into each birds genetics, a willingness to die fighting for the sole purpose of dominance; It's not trained into them, it's not fed into them, it isn't how they're raised, it is something that takes place in the brood pens and that is what makes them what they are. There are a lot of "American game" that are not a game, same goes for Shamo, Thai, and so on. They have the look, maybe a certain fighting ability and even a peckish attitude where they like to spar/fight for awhile. But in the long run, they do just that, run; such fowl cannot (at least in my eyes) be classified as gamefowl. My Leghorns are by no means game, but they're fast and aggressive for about 5 seconds and they say "Bye!". Same thing with my Kraienköppe, I have seen some of them spar for nearly 2-3 minutes probably, and they come from a strong game heritage. But when it comes down to it, they are just a semi-aggressive heritage breed though they can coexist fairly well once a pecking order is established and not interrupted. Like the Shamo, even my Kraienköppe hens are aggressive, they'll spar with young cockerels, hens, each other, everything; but they too will work out a pecking order eventually. Not to cause issues, I just don't really like breeds above being tossed in as "games". It just has a possibility of complicating things in a few ways.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom