Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

I don't know about that garlic... I have feed garlic when I have had a crop issue to keep from getting sour crop, and to help with sour crop. never have done juice though. Sounds... nasty. LOL. the ACV... It helps to thin mucus membranes, keep the immune system up, so many benefits. (I even use it on myself for gall bladder issues, and I haven't had a single cold since taking a daily swig in the morning, every morning! Yes, super gross. I hold my breath, brace my self for INCOMING! LOL) I'd personally not mix the garlic juice and the ACV in the waterer, but I would think putting it on their treats of left over noodles, bread... would be good. Keeps the crop juices healthy.

I found a livestock supplier that has all my needs, I was like a kid in a candy shop in there!

Picked up 20l of cold press ACV, and a kilo bag of garlic granules. HE suggested to mix the lot into one batch but I might do it each water fill. He said they used to make up batches with honey in it too and said it was a great tonic.

Other than that, Mocha is still limping and the eggs are still growing. Two more days before we candle them again to make sure the 7 have continued to grow.

Also still waiting on my incubator parts to arrive so I can finish that project off.

We did a 14 day candle last night.

We had left the 5 non starters in last candle (day 7) just in case we were wrong. Tonight we confirmed those 5 were early death or non fertile by candle. The remaining 7 had all progressed, we could not see much through the eggs at all. We lingered on a couple and we could see the little embryo's moving, which was a very pleasing sight to see!

So far so good.

The five we removed were replaced with a jar of water, to help maintain some sort of steady temperature in there with less eggs. We then cracked open the non starters in a white bowl to see if we could 'at home vet' at determine what was the cause.

They all looked like normal eating eggs, except one was slightly more yellow and watery than the others. None had veins, blood streaks, white spots or any other sign of an early death. This leaves me to estimate that they were all most likely either too old to incubate or were never fertile.

This was a good feeling at it showed that although the incubator is not perfect it had got us this far with our fertile eggs and they had progressed. 1 week to go!!!!!

Did I mention that I hope to receive the last of my home made incubator parts this week....pretty dang excited about that too!

I did candling on 2 of my hens that are just a few days in... Looks like I will have to replace eggs on the on hens eggs. I guess the roo/ cockerel in that pen hasn't figured it out, or he's shooting blanks. Doesn't look like a single egg is developing, its day3, so not to far into the setting to give new eggs to sit. The other hen has 2 positives, 2 dark eggs that I am iffy on... The last hen has a few days to go, all 4 looking good.

Bummer, the breeder we got our from may have had similar issues, as all three GLW failed to launch, and one of the A/lorp and one L/sus.

I assume you are 'natural incubating' with broody hens? We want to do that, but kind of hard to make them sit, so we are doing it the other way, you know, more expensive and stressful time consuming way hahahaha. All fun and games.

Would the replacement eggs 'catch up' or would they just hatch 3 days later?

Well, I'd take the failed eggs out, and put fresh eggs under from one of the other pens.

I have no idea how I ended up with the broodiest birds ever... Its not even a silkie that's broody. Its a New Hampshire, Serema, Faverolles, and a mutt hen that I have no idea what she is.... The mutt I am trying to break though. She is a great sitter, but she is rather air headed once the chicks hatch and being winter here, I don't feel like raising them. She can have them in the late spring early summer if she goes broody again.

But, get silkies or cochins. My bantams cochins are the broodiest. They are both 2 years old and starting last winter, they've both had about 5 clutches each. One is raising babies right now, the other has plucked her belly, but then changed her mind I guess cuz she's still laying. That or the serema hen chased her off. Lol

LOL, once you lock them down, you gotta KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF! They can stay in the bator for 2 day before you have to take them out for the brooder and food and water. Don't open it until then...

Also, earlier on in the thread, I had said 1/4 cup ACV to gallon of water. I have since learned that I have been using too much, and should be half that amount. Just thought I'd correct myself. I haven't had any problems giving that much to my birds, but... yeah.

Cool thanks Nova, appreciate you taking the time to help us out. Will dial back the dosage with out next fill.

As for touching our incubator, we understand the process. We will be filling the last water chamber, making sure the first is full and that the eggs have a bit of space around them and then that's it, until we see what happens.

I have been reading about the hatch along's, other first attempts and it worries me as still so much can go wrong right up to the last moments. Even then, some may not make it past the first week. Natures way, we don't want to interfere as we want the strongest to survive for the best chance later in life.

Still waiting for our new incubator parts to arrive. Just about ready to bust hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom