Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
, Both of them!

Ben, does your forehead torch do dna sexing too?

We heard an Italian rooster crow yesterday. They sound just like a normal rooster. Who knew?

Headlamp/torch is just about good enough to tell the colour of the down hahahah I didn't want it going too bright or it might cook the chicks!
What , no accent. Lol, if it's Italian there will be no need to add oregano and garlic.
lau.gif
Felix may not have heard the accent, but if he watched closely it probably waved his wings around while crowing!

All going well here, incubator is humming away. I removed the last Coro egg last night and opened it up to find that it was a ruptured yolk and had not started to grow.

Down to 3 that are going strong.

Luna has started her molt, kindy waiting until the day Lavern (Lav Ara) came back online.

Nice shots Lisa! (He needs to roll up those loose straps on his webbing though
hide.gif
)

ANZAC Day for me this year was very quiet. I think next year a lot more of the boys will be home so it will be a bigger deal.

On the egg front, still three in there going well, tomorrow is Day 18, last day of turning before the big lock down!

We had a BBQ in full swing and our daughter came in and said quick dad I need you to get dressed in your combat rig so I can get some pics while the light is right. Good dad that he is , raced in got changed and off they went. She calls it ' the homecoming ' . It symbolises a local soldier that never returned home. The tree he is leaning on is one of a row planted by the soldier and his young bride just before he went to war. The soldiers family gave out daughter access to the property and were chuffed that she was so interested in his story.

What a touching story and wonderful pictures! We all owe so much to those who swallowed hard and did what needed to be done. Those parents whose sons never return bear a burden that none of us will fully understand who haven't experienced it.

Thank you Ben and Fancy's husband for your service!!

We had a BBQ in full swing and our daughter came in and said quick dad I need you to get dressed in your combat rig so I can get some pics while the light is right. Good dad that he is , raced in got changed and off they went. She calls it ' the homecoming ' . It symbolises a local soldier that never returned home. The tree he is leaning on is one of a row planted by the soldier and his young bride just before he went to war. The soldiers family gave out daughter access to the property and were chuffed that she was so interested in his story.
Thats pretty amazing Lisa. Some day we will meet, maybe over a cold one at the Gratto

@Fancychooklady That's a nice set of images, I like the blurred motion effect in one of the pictures. I have to ask about the last one, is that some sort of maple he's leaning against? In Italy they had similar looking maples, the bark looks like it has a camouflage pattern, really weird since ours have completely different bark, they have horizontal wrinkles and the bark is mainly brown.

We came home last night, and boy was it nice to sleep in a room that was 20 degrees. All week we've had temperatures ranging from 33 to 37 in the day, and the night temps have been around 25, so with no air-conditioning, sleeping has been a bit troublesome. Our chickens seem to have been well taken care of, and they've grown quite a lot in just a week. Still no eggs, except for in the compost, which had dried up and had been inhabited by ants, loads of ant eggs in there. I watered it a bit, so hopefully that will get it going again. It's weird how much can happen in a week, our Jerusalem artichokes have grown from barely punching through the surface to almost half a meter, and the potato towers are starting to look like bushes. The tomatoes have also grown a lot stronger, and have started to bloom. And the lawn looks like a hay field.

Back
Top Bottom