Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Fancy, that auction site looks amazing. This is the one I'm talking about:

http://www.alko.fi/tuotteet/454607/

That is a link to our monopolized alcohol dealer, Alko. Anything exceeding 4.7% alcohol can only be sold in Alko (or bars and restaurants).

@cwrite Our alcohol taxation is built up in a similar way. There are different alcohol taxes on different beverages that are applied, the price of the wine does not change this, because it's volume and alcohol content based. Then VAT is also added, this of course depends on the price of the wine. This leads to horrible wines being about 5-6 euros per bottle, drinkable and decent ones go for about 6-9 euros, and actually enjoyable wines start from about 9 euros.

An interesting side effect of this is that Estonia, a country located only an hours boat ride from Helsinki, gets a lot of tourism. One third of all alcohol bought in Estonia is sold to Finns. Prices there are about half of what they are here.

The reason our alcohol taxation is built like this, is that historically Finns tend to favor the strong stuff. Vodka and similar drinks sell pretty well, so alcoholism and alcohol related illness is a big issue here. As a nation, we are not sophisticated drinkers.

"Ilman hauskaakin voi olla viinaa" - "You don't need fun to have booze"

Ben, in that case you are excused
tongue.png

Karin is a bit similar, if she has a glass of wine or a cider she usually gets a hangover immediately. Interestingly she doesn't have the same issue with spirits.

I again don't get hangovers. I become annoyingly perky the next day after enjoying larger quantities of alcohol, I wake up at 7 and start making breakfast. The weirdest part is that Karin then tends to get a sort of sympathy hangover, even without drinking anything. Seems like the hangover causing particles are transferred from me to her during the night
big_smile.png

well this morning we went out to check, and both chicks had hatched. Unfortunately one was under Betty's foot and it passed away.
Oh no! Sorry for your loss. Are you going to get a friend for it, or are they usually fine when raised alone by a broody? Let's hope it's a she at least, and that the other one went quickly.

Looking at the coloring difference between the two chicks makes me think that one was male and one was female. There's always the possibility that they had different dads, but it's unlikely since the eggs were produced only one day apart. The chick that passed was solid red, the one that's living has chipmunks stripes like the mom did when she hatched. That probably means that the living one is a male. I hope I'm wrong. The reason we chose these eggs, was because they are from my son's favorite hen. Her egg was the only one that didn't hatch last time. He really wants a female from her. in the past when I've had a single chick I've picked up a few friends for it, so I may swing by the feed store on my way home from work today to see if they have any day old pullets. Although, I think being raised by a hen, a single one would do better than in the brooder alone.

well this morning we went out to check, and both chicks had hatched. Unfortunately one was under Betty's foot and it passed away.

Very sorry to hear Pam, we had that happen with Rosie and our one and only Blue Australorp chick.
.... Seems like the hangover causing particles are transferred from me to her during the night
big_smile.png

I don't want to know how that might happen BWHAHAHAHAHA
Looking at the coloring difference between the two chicks makes me think that one was male and one was female. There's always the possibility that they had different dads, but it's unlikely since the eggs were produced only one day apart. The chick that passed was solid red, the one that's living has chipmunks stripes like the mom did when she hatched. That probably means that the living one is a male. I hope I'm wrong. The reason we chose these eggs, was because they are from my son's favorite hen. Her egg was the only one that didn't hatch last time. He really wants a female from her. in the past when I've had a single chick I've picked up a few friends for it, so I may swing by the feed store on my way home from work today to see if they have any day old pullets. Although, I think being raised by a hen, a single one would do better than in the brooder alone.
I agree that an only chick raised by mum would be better off than an only chick in a brooder, but if you can get it a friend or two I am sure they would all be happy.

Last I check we did not have any pips in our incubator.

Back
Top Bottom