Pack or not pack tunneling wounds on flystrike rooster?

purefoysgirl

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 6, 2013
On Sunday, September 25, I checked my rooster, Alan, once he was up on the roost because he smelled awful, had been walking around with his tail down, and wasn't acting like himself. I checked with a flashlight and saw maggots streaming across what I thought was his butt, idk it was dark and I panicked. I immediately got him into a tub of water and soaked him for 45 minutes, then held him while my mother flushed more out of him with iodine water. I have no idea how he got so bad or what happened, but he had a "pocket" below his breastbone where the majority (we thought) were, and the skin all down his belly was friable and torn and gray/black. We crated him in the garage with a red lamp, I ordered some wonder dust off Amazon, and ran out for some Vetericyn. Because he's pretty large and a bit intimidating, I did all the holding, so while I thought we were getting ahead of it with twice-daily flushings, we weren't. When I finally got a chance to check him myself, I found another pocket of maggots down in his "groin" area, and we did yet another bath on 09/28 and got probably 600 or so big ones out, but no little ones. He stayed in the bath about an hour and was so bad I thought we would have to euthanize him. But he rallied, and he ate, and he drank, and the next bath only got six. When I finally got the Wonder Dust, I did some puffs over him and that dried him up pretty good. He doesn't smell as bad now (though still some), and the daily flushings aren't driving out any maggots, but he has two big gaps where his skin separated from his body and the skin dried hard like fingernails. One is at the top of his belly and the other tunnels almost all the way to his left hip joint. He's walking stretched up like a penguin with his tail dragging, but he is mobile and not very happy to be handled when it's washout time.

My question is, will those granulate in? Do I need to be doing wet to dry packing? Should I put anything at all on it outside of the Vetericyn, which I do twice daily as well as I can on a furious roo? I don't want to create conditions where flies will return, but I also don't want him to be permanently gaped open like that as winter comes on especially. Any advice? There's no suturing him up at this point; the outside skin is far too hard.

I'm sorry, I can't really give you pictures, it's difficult enough to keep him still with two of us both hands on, I'd never be able to get enough light on him and hold a camera at the same time without him struggling and hurting himself.

Edit: He's not on any antibiotics. He refuses anything I put clindamycin (what I had on hand) in, so I stopped wasting it.

Do you have photos?
I'm sorry, as I stated above, I can't get photos. He's too difficult for my mother to hold so I can take the pictures, and if I hold him, she doesn't know what she should be taking pictures of / the angle / what to include.

I hoped for some good advice here. I see so many people being helped. I'm sorry I can't provide photos. I guess I'll just do the best I can for him and hope his wounds granulate in.

I hoped for some good advice here. I see so many people being helped. I'm sorry I can't provide photos. I guess I'll just do the best I can for him and hope his wounds granulate in.
I have ducks, so I can't help with chickens, but I read alot of posts on here. I've followed a couple posts about holes like that with maggots....sounds like the washing and stuff did good.

I have read that putting neosporin (i think the non medicated) on it regulary so it doesn't dry out.

One I saw that was really bad, she had to debride the wound, using wash cloth, abrasively on tissue that looked dead to stimulate new growth when doing the washing. With complete recovery!

But that's all I can really tell you, I haven't gone through that myself. Pictures do help a ton, and maybe that is why you haven't got many responses. Even if your mom doesn't know exactly what to take a pic of, any will help.

Good luck!

It's hard to offer advice without pics. There are too many variables.

How large and deep are the "pockets?" Are any internal organs affected? What color is the skin around the open areas? What color is the hardened skin? Where exactly are the wounds in relation to vital areas?

I will say that dry tissue doesn't usually heal, which is why it is best to keep open wounds moist. It might be too late, which - along with no visuals - might have folks reluctant to offer help. I've not experienced this in my flock. I've not had wounded tissue dry out.

And it's only been a day. You gotta be patient as folks on BYC are from all different time zones.

Your post is bumped now. You may get more responses now.

It's very hard to give suggestions without seeing what you see.

General wound care is to clean the affected areas, apply triple antibiotic ointment or something like vetericyn. Keep the bird on clean dry bedding.
Keep them hydrated and eating.

Seeking an avian vet's care is always best.

Back
Top Bottom