Pasty butt?

Jordan01

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
Newfoundland
I have a chick that I treated for pasty butt, she has poop around her butt agaib but not actually covering her vent. Should I remove it or just keep on eye on it and treat it if it actually covers the vent?

I feel a chick should always have a clean vent area...sorry for the opposite answer to the one above. One small clump leads to vents being pasted shut...think of your own bum..would you like a "little poo" stuck on you? Also with flies becoming more frequent...even the pesky ones that sneak into houses...I wouldn't chance it. Pasty butt clears up usually about 2+ weeks...why take the risk? Just my opinion..

I would remove it unless the chick was abnormally stressed about it. Most will shout and complain and wriggle, that's normal. But some are so flight that they risk breaking something to get away. Those ones I leave be unless it's blocking their vents or pulling down.

I feel a chick should always have a clean vent area...sorry for the opposite answer to the one above. One small clump leads to vents being pasted shut...think of your own bum..would you like a "little poo" stuck on you? Also with flies becoming more frequent...even the pesky ones that sneak into houses...I wouldn't chance it. Pasty butt clears up usually about 2+ weeks...why take the risk? Just my opinion..
Yes, 100%.

If you ferment some seed and work it in the first 2 weeks, it will help prevent pasty booties.

Back
Top Bottom