PBA(Parrot Beak Asil/Aseel) USA, Project(And Discussion Thread)

If you're a fan of Oriental Gamefowl, & want a unique Breed?

• Total voters
Pics
My BJG are tyrants so I'm not sure how that will affect the roo. I wanted the rooster to be raised by mature hens and or older sisters, but raising by tyrants might not be a good idea if I want mild manners.
Malays are tyrannical in nature. So, I only put those who think they're tough in the coop. Works fine.
All my unplanned birds are all females.

So here's why I like the Sumatra rooster

Pea comb
Predominately aggressive towards it's own kind and only during mating season.
Flight ability
Multiple spurs

Additionally I consider for color and size as I wanted black and a smaller built rooster (personal choice.)

I also wonder if the long tail enhances their prowess to threats being a smaller bird by giving them a larger appearance.

I've heard both yes and no to foraging and setting, but I would think with their active personalities they could be taught to forage if not instinctual. Setting I'm not too concerned with getting from a rooster.

This will be the rooster for my black flock. I plan to breed my best Buckeyes with new Buckeye blood. Just not sure from where yet.

The black flock will be the experimental one where I might introduce Liege, Hmong, and my BJG. Later though I would love to see a Buckeye-Malay.

And perhaps use the Buckeyes for other projects too.
My makes took a while to get human aggressive. First one was like 7 when he drew blood, the second I moved along before he had the chance.

My boys did alright if raised together, but they would admittedly taunt other males they saw.

I had a pullet hatch out eggs, but she lost her chick early on to unknown causes

You will never make a parrot beak asil from birds that are in the US. In fact it was probably a genetic mutation in kulang asils and long tailed desi birds that were continually inbred to exaggerate this trait. They tried to make satsumas in the US and failed miserably. Be patient they will be here soon

You will never make a parrot beak asil from birds that are in the US. In fact it was probably a genetic mutation in kulang asils and long tailed desi birds that were continually inbred to exaggerate this trait. They tried to make satsumas in the US and failed miserably. Be patient they will be here soon
That's not a very positive attitude. @nicalandia said the short beaks are selectively bred down, not a genetic mutation. So, I gotta select for the shortest beaks till I get there.

That's not a very positive attitude. @nicalandia said the short beaks are selectively bred down, not a genetic mutation. So, I gotta select for the shortest beaks till I get there.
Its not just a short beak. I breed for that in my cubalayas. I have asils. None of their beaks look anything like these. Yeah they are selectively bred but the first ones were genetic mutations. So inbred and selectively bred from the parrot beak mutation. Not being negative, just realistic

And yes nicolandia has an asil with a short beak but its not parrot beak. Wrong comb, wrong body, wrong tail. They are so inbred that only one out of a dozen eggs hatch. These are long knife fighting birds. Its illegal in India so very few left

Its not just a short beak. I breed for that in my cubalayas. I have asils. None of their beaks look anything like these. Yeah they are selectively bred but the first ones were genetic mutations. So inbred and selectively bred from the parrot beak mutation. Not being negative, just realistic
I'm also, being realistic, & relaying knowledge I've learned from a very trustworthy, & knowledgeable friend.

And yes nicolandia has an asil with a short beak but its not parrot beak. Wrong comb, wrong body, wrong tail. They are so inbred that only one out of a dozen eggs hatch. These are long knife fighting birds. Its illegal in India so very few left
It's a parrot beak, just not the Temper Tail/Shrimp tail which are more common from what I've seen.

The comb is walnut, just not smooth. Body is just more tight, & slender. Probably based on variety.
Post in thread 'In this Breeding thread, we post our Breeding Wishes' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ost-our-breeding-wishes.1552514/post-26253524

Just some examples of how varied the Parrot beak Aseels can be in type.
Screenshot_20221112-122010_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221112-122341_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom