Pekin Duck Club!

The reason I mentioned trying 1 at a time with your new ducks is breaking up the pecking order. You can leave one duck in with the chickens at night and put the new girl and one other in with her. After a few days if that goes well then do a switch so your other duck is in with the new one then after a few days put all 3 ducks into the pen they aren't usually in so it's not home turf so to speak. This will also give the chickens time to get use to the newbie with out being mean to her.

image.jpg

Greetings, old timers!! If you have been around a long time, and remember duckies1230 then you remember me adopting Jojo and Lily (Charlie died, and she got Lily...) I changed my screen name. Don’t get too confused.
So, let me get you up to speed!
Jojo and Lily had a son and a daughter (incubator babies). They somehow became surrogates for a bunch of chicks and three poults that were 1-2 weeks older than them.
AD8413E3-45D8-4050-B74B-5DEDF6B758D8.jpeg CF239B9F-CF35-4B56-A4E9-CD1FF1FAD959.jpeg
I was told that prior to me, Lily did like to sleep in her nest box, sometimes she even seemed broody for short periods.
Well, Lily is four. Jojo three. Their daughter (Janice Joplin) is two along with a Muscovy (Aretha Franklin). Ages don’t matter. I’m just tired, and chattering like a fool.
Aretha is halfway through a brood. I think all of the eggs are pure Pekin. If you know genetics, you know that her eggs would have produced hinnies (mule ducks are Muscovy over Pekin), so the fact that Aretha has never truly bonded with the Pekins is understandable. It’s nature. Having babies will give her someone to bond with.
Here’s why I mentioned the parenting instincts of the Pekin... I believe I have a broody Pekin too. :th For about a week I thought that she was just laying in a comfortable spot, which happened to be their most recent preferred nest. Now it is occurring to me that with a broody Muscovy nearby, it is very likely that another duck would decide to brood too. You know how it is. Once one bird goes broody, they all go broody!
I have an injured foot, and I’m not sure I want to walk that much, but I might go candle an egg. I literally just figured out that she’s probably broody about half an hour ago.

Back
Top Bottom